• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what defines an internal art?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To me it is a style that cultivates, develops, and studies qi within the individual.

However, why recreate the wheel with my own definition when this one will suffice:

The following is from http://www.qi-journal.com :

"Although many styles of Neijia exist around the world, three "internal" martial arts are most widely known... Taijiquan (T'ai Chi Ch'uan), Baguazhang (Pa Kua Ch'ang), and Xingyiquan (Hsing-I Ch'uan). Several other martial arts such as YiQuan (I-Ch'uan) must also be recognized because of its close adherance to the basic principles of Neijia as well as Aikido, a Japanese martial art.

Neijia differs from other "external" martial arts in that all movement begins deeply within the body, then moves outwards towards the skin."

--------------------------

The flip side of this would be weijia or external arts.

Some external styles combine the two concepts, but if they do not employ qi, yin/yang theory into their combat, then more than likely they are still just an external style.

:)

Just some tidbits from me...

Edited by shogeri

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 2 months later...

Wikipedia and webster's dictionary aside for the moment, as I stray into the long-winded world of philosophy...lol

Taoism should be thought of as a generic term when applying it to the Martial Arts, and is no different than the esoteric, pragmatic, or individualistic methods by which Martial Artists apply their own form of pugilism during those situations in which such is necessary.

What makes a style internal is the understanding and application of qi while in combat, not while in prayer or meditation.

The neijia arts are about striking and doing damage internally, whereas the weijia arts (anything external), are about the external, or exterior physicality or infliction of damage while in combat.

If I created a martial art system, would it be a Christian one, just because I was Christian?

No, it would not.

Taoism is just a way of looking at the world.

In my view, I can see the balance of all things without looking toward any one set of thoughts or philosophies.

I believe that when a person does this, in the Martial Arts, then they will ultimately limit themselves.

Taoism is hugely individualistic, and again, there a few demands upon a person on how they interact with other people and things.

So are Buddhism and Islam, Shinto, etc.

I also believe that Martial Arts are based upon esoteric and pugilistic values.

Esoterism is the ongoing development, valuing, understanding, and application of; an individual throughout their life.

Esoteric is a generic term.

Pragmaticism is also a concept found within the Martial Arts.

Pragmatic values are concerned with the realistic application of an individuals principles, ethics, or attitudes.

Taoism is by all means just an empty word, that can be filled with a variety of different meanings.

When we think of philosophy, we thing of that system of knowledge or thought that guides us, but does not root us, to this world, and those things within it.

On the other hand, when we think of religion, we thing of that system of beliefs that guides us, and gives us a root or foundation by which to live our lives, interact with others, and those things within it.

Philosophy includes religion, but philosophy is not religion, just as religion is not merely a set of beliefs.

Taoism is just a philosophical way of looking at the world through an individualistic viewpoint, and how that individual relates, and aids, in the balance of all things.

In a way, since the Martial Arts are based upon those esoteric values which lead to pugilism, we could in many ways say that all Martial Arts are based upon Taoist principles.

Does this means we need to specifically include a set of methods that lead us to the Tao?

That is make the Martial Arts, which could be either internal or external, into an organized set of religious or spiritual thoughts?

When we are molding our own human spirit (not the soul), we are practicing individualism.

When we attempt to involve spiritualism, which is the attainment of knowledge regarding one's self that rests outside and beyond one's self, then we are no longer practicing the Martial Arts, we are in fact practicing a religion.

I for one I do not believe we should such things.

Happy New Year!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...