Kungfu asn an effective fighting art

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very interesting reading...thanks for sharing this.............it just goes to show that when it comes to the actual battle, one never knows till the time comes and for that day only. during my military days in combat, i have seen the strongest become weak and vice versa on a day to day bases. it is the values of martial arts we should be concern with. :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

On 2001-07-20 01:32, Odin wrote:

interesting article to check out:

http://www.shaolin-wahnam.org/kungfuq1.html

Very good pages (I read part I and II, both), and this man basically said what my thoughts are, much more clearly than I've ever been able to convey. Of course, I also believe some of it could have been worded better, but this man is also not a native English speaker/writer either. Very good points and statements though, in my opinion. These points help demonstrate why some arts are questioned so much, when it comes down to the fact that most people asking, seeing or doing them, aren't really even being truly trained in them. Of course, that problem is the most prevelant and is far reaching and is the biggest problem in every single art/style taught.

Regards,

Tim Greer -> admin@chatbase.com | Phone: 530-222-7244

I study any and every style and I'm always looking to spar!!

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

Very interesting read. While it is refreshing to see that some teachers are more concerned with teaching so as to give their students the most out of the art ie. self-confidence, zest for life etc. - and not focusing so much on being able to defend yourself, I wonder if that is so smart...Anyone who knows that you train in a Martial Art will expect that you should know how to defend yourself....especially an attacker. Some people would challenge you simply because of that fact, so don't you think you should know how to defend yourself, just in case??? Just my thoughts... :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I thought it was a bit self serving. "All other arts are sports and not for real, etc, etc." I do Northern Shaolin. I can tell you with confidence that it contains blocks, punches and kicks(high, aerial and otherwise) like many other styles. So I don't know what he is getting at when he speaks of people looking like kickboxing when they spar. As opposed to what? In most sparring comps you are only allowed certain strikes anyways. If he would have said the difference would be seen in the quality of movement, that would have been different. But to rattle on about this technique or that style etc is just silly and weak.

SifuAbel,

I believe he is referring to people who "bounce" around when they are sparring a la tae kwon do or western boxing, instead of using proper kungfu stances.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

That's a great article and it sounds like an honest view of MA's.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Just curious,

Isn't knowing something to defend your self with better than knowing nothing at all?

Yes, but thinking you know something when you actually don't is worst of all...

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly