• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i was really hoping that this post would end the fact of the matter is you shouldnt do the kuji if 1 you dont have proper training in it and 2. Out of respect of other religions the kuji are buhddist and shinto i was told so by buhddist and shinto practioners. also zanshin doent have one set meaning cause thats the way Japanese as a language is zanshin doest mean going to a criticle point and have the instinct to survive but it can also have additional meanings

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to leave religious aspects to their own, and keep such out of the MA.

I also agree that zanshin, is nothing more than a state of relaxed mental alertness, that indeed does integrate into many facets of our life.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 9 years later...

It is mentioned here in this thread that Kuji came from Mikkyo and Shinto practices. What I see left out is Taoism. Taoism also uses hand seals. Going back to the esoteric buddhism view, the Tibetans also have extensive knowledge of hand seals. The Ninja also learned teachings of Shugendo, which is a blend of Taoism, Buddhism, Shintoism. Unfortunately with esoteric schools you have to find a teacher to train you. I wish it was simple enough that you could learn it from a book, but that would be too easy I suppose.

A religion, when based on faith developed through experience, a broad and questing mind, and an unflagging pursuit of universal understanding, is of inspiration and comfort to people. Once a religion loses its original focus, however, it becomes a deadly thing with which to deceive, control, and tax the people through the manipulation of their beliefs and fears. It is the same with the martial arts. - Toshitsugu Takamatsu