• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The missuse of a martial art

I've only used my martial arts twice... which by most martial artist's books seems to be a lot. The first time doesn't count much, I was in 7th grade and beat up a kid for ripping the cross off my neck, which I would define as misuse, I could have just walked away. About a year ago was the 2nd time, my girlfriend's brother smacked her, and it wasn't a gentle slap either. I went ape. When I look back I really regret it, but then again, he turned the whole left side of her face purple.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question: If a person (A) attacks another person (B), are you legally allowed to help that person? I've heard stories (though that may be all they were) of friends in MA going to help buddies who were in fights and ending up facing the consequnces.

That said, the main thing I've always thought about is how would I end up in a position where I would have to take action? Aside from being randomly mugged/attacked, I think any other situation would be something I inflicted upon myself. Sort of like, if you feel bad about lying, the best way to fix that is never to lie.

But in your situation, that's tough. Because I know I might have reacted the same way and attacked the person who spit on my girlfriend.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

A quick question: If a person (A) attacks another person (B), are you legally allowed to help that person? I've heard stories (though that may be all they were) of friends in MA going to help buddies who were in fights and ending up facing the consequnces.

Clearly it depends on what State or country you are in, but laws generally don't legalize violence, they only provide a means for you to present justification for your use of it. I.e., you could be arrested for defending yourself against an assailant, not hurting him one bit, and getting the tar beat out of you in the process. As long as you committed assault, whether initiated or not, there is argument for arrest.

As to helping that person, you didn't indicate whether you are helping A or B. I gather you meant helping B. Well, if the person attacking (A) is full-capable of significantly hurting B, then you may be warranted in intervening. There's always the possibility an argument could be presented that it was 2-on-1, if you intervene.

The ugly thing to realize is that 'witnesses' determine events, not the other way around. I.e., although the scene may have played out one way, if witnesses say otherwise, that's what it will be recorded as...

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I'm not sure what I would do, I never had a girlfriend or even touched a girl before(other than my mom!) well maybe once when I bumped into them.

If they harmed a friend I would step in, but probably not a kick to the face...(maybe a teep/push kick, but not something with power like a MT round house...)

it is hard to control yourself, but one must look at your ownself and see the situation.

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

I got my ego beat out of me as a child up to the age of 18.

If someone needed help I would.

If the situation doesn't call for physical contact then don't it.

Do only enough force to stop the person from continuing.

Most states have incorporated the good samaritan law.

:)

Just some thoughts...

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

That said, the main thing I've always thought about is how would I end up in a position where I would have to take action? Aside from being randomly mugged/attacked, I think any other situation would be something I inflicted upon myself. Sort of like, if you feel bad about lying, the best way to fix that is never to lie.

But in your situation, that's tough. Because I know I might have reacted the same way and attacked the person who spit on my girlfriend.

It really depends on the law of the state. In most places you are allowed to come to someone's aid, but you may only match force with the person attacking them and not exceed it.

For instance, just because the guy is being "disrespectful" in the way he talks doesnt give you the right to clock him. If he decides to hit someone, you cant stab/shoot him and you have to show that you stopped when there was a clear break in the conflict (showing an effort by you to escape).

So, by that measure, if someone starts to physically threaten you, and I punch the guy in the face and drop him (and we both split) we're in the clear. If I drop him, hang around to run my mouth, and decide to further beat him up (or if I kick him while hes down) thats when the trouble is going to start.

It really depends on the law of the state. In most places you are allowed to come to someone's aid, but you may only match force with the person attacking them and not exceed it.

For instance, just because the guy is being "disrespectful" in the way he talks doesnt give you the right to clock him. If he decides to hit someone, you cant stab/shoot him and you have to show that you stopped when there was a clear break in the conflict (showing an effort by you to escape).

So, by that measure, if someone starts to physically threaten you, and I punch the guy in the face and drop him (and we both split) we're in the clear. If I drop him, hang around to run my mouth, and decide to further beat him up (or if I kick him while hes down) thats when the trouble is going to start.

This is correct generally. You can match the force of the attack, but can't really exceed it. You can't "teach them a lesson" and pound them once you obviously have the upper hand. Also, if he retreats, you aren't supposed to go after him, as then the roles are reversed and now you are considered the attacker.

When I was in England during the holidays of 98/99, my host and her adult sons told me that somebody could break into their home and steal everything in site while we were sitting there, and by law, we couldn't do anything about it except call the police. I thought that was the stupidist thing I'd ever heard! Just sit there watching TV while somebody stole the Christmas presents? I don't think so.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

One should use good judgment in all situations they come upon in life.

Think about the whole enchilada, and do not focus too much on the sauce.

We are the sauce.

lol..sorry..I am getting hungry now.

:)

In reality, I agree with all of the sound opinions on here.

Take care!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...