• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The missuse of a martial art

Everybody has an ego. Period. to what extent that ego entends can vary with each person. Myself, I can take a whole lot of verbal crud from somebody and not do a thing about it because I learned many years before I began my martial arts training that words can't hurt you unless you let them.

On the spitting issue...well, if I was you, I wouldn't have kicked the guy. I'd have PUNCHED HIM! I'm from the old school, and just with the facts as you gave them, I'd say your were protecting your ladies honor and standing up for her. I would have done the same at 16 years of age, and would do so now at 52.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you did the right thing. (except for maybe the tecnique :wink: )

Maybe the punk doesn't spit on girls so quick now.

Of course there are situations where hitting someone might put your girl in danger. There are times to walk away.

I certainly don't agree with "You can't use MA's for anything but physical self-defense." That's a load of crap. I don't believe in unneceassary violence, but I won't spend my life bending over and backing down.

I certainly don't agree with "You can't use MA's for anything but physical self-defense." That's a load of crap. I don't believe in unneceassary violence, but I won't spend my life bending over and backing down.

I 100% agree with that statement. sometimes you just HAVE to fight and stand up for yourself or others. As I stated before, I'm from the old school, and this "kinder, gentler" nation/world that we have now is turning...IMHO...our youth of today into *using my best Arnold voice here* a bunch of girly men.

I believe that you have the right to defend yourself. I also belive you have the right to defend others if you so choose to do so. I also believe STRONGLY that you have the obligation to defend your significant other from people that would spit on her, or otherwise mistreat them. To what degree and what situation, that depends on the individual. I call it being a gentleman...and a man.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I believe that you have the right to defend yourself. I also belive you have the right to defend others if you so choose to do so. I also believe STRONGLY that you have the obligation to defend your significant other from people that would spit on her, or otherwise mistreat them. To what degree and what situation, that depends on the individual. I call it being a gentleman...and a man.

Unfortunately, depending on the region, the State, or the country, such actions can land you in prison. Times have changed. To the better? I'm sure that's debatable.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Well, I was bullied a lot in Jr. Hi, and I wont say I never fought back. When the odds were too great, I backed off, but when it was just one bully, I didn't. I floored a few of them (never a real fight, I put them on the ground before anything could happen).

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

In short, I think you should have hit him. I personally would have punched him.

I don't know why this pervasive pseudo-Buddhist philosophy has somehow become wholly entwined with the "martial arts", but last time I checked the word martial had nothing to do with pacifism or even "self defense" for that matter.

It's all about how to hurt people, and how to come out on top in battle whether it be a street fight, a boxing match, or an all-out war with armies.

Perhaps your dojo and instructor teach/preach when and how to use what you've learned, and perhaps the style you train in may encompass Buddhist philosophies (like most Kung Fu schools) but in the end, when and how you use what you've learned is a decision you make yourself, based on your own standards and moral code.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

but in the end, when and how you use what you've learned is a decision you make yourself, based on your own standards and moral code.

Well, that and the law, and the friends/relatives of the person you assault. Consequence again... :wink:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I have once let my ego get into the way of my clear thinking and lost it, I was out with my girlfriend and someone stepped out of line and spit on her I hit him with a hooking kick to the jaw and my friends got me and my girlfriend out of there.I am a first Dagree in TKD and confessed this shameful news to my instuctors and peers.

Your own statement reveals that you feel guilty about what you did because you "let [your] ego get into the way of [your]clear thinking and lost it". Your better judgment now after the incident told you that you shouldn't have used excessive force to right what you perceived was a wrong action done by another, right?

There are many occasions in our lives when we act instinctively and do things that we regret later when we are out of the situation and the heat that we were in. That's quite normal, we are imperfect humans, we are not saints or superheroes. In my view, you will be the judge of what you have done and not the people here who may pass judgment on you but who were not in the same situation you were in at the time and are judging on an aposteriori, after-thought basis or via post-analysis. You may or may listen to the wisdom of their post-hoc evaluations and their advice. That's up to you.

I don't need to comment or pass judgment on the action you took either. You already have passed the judgment on yourself.

Now tell me has anyone let there egoes get in the way of there judgment between right and wrong :(

Now, you are either asking sympathy or absolution to what you did. You don't need too, mf. Listen to your conscience and do the right thing next time. What is the right thing? Many of your friends here have already given many good suggestions, choose what you think is right and I wish you the best of luck in your next possible street encounter.

I would too, but unfortunately, the courts don't see it that way. If it ends up going to court, you are allowed to use "reasonable tactics" to remove yourself from the situation. What's reasonable? Well, that's up to whoever judges the case and how they feel that day. Sad, but true.

Be glad your hooking kick (And who told you to use that on the street?!?) didn't break an eye socket or something similar, or you could have been in real trouble legally speaking.

"Well, he spit on my girlfriend so I fractured his face" won't go too far with a judge or jury, most times. :D

As far as what we all think is immaterial. You have already evaluated your actions, and placed shame upon them, which means you will be less likely to do it again in the future, and more likely to find a different method.

Welcome to personal growth. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player