• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HOw easy is it to get a kicker down onto the ground?

Nothing. If those shots land great. The knees particularly. But even if they break the shooter's nose or ribs, if they don't take him out the kicker has only one leg on the ground.

That's a gold mine to a wrestler, judoka, or BJJ player.

The strikes can do the job. But if your kicking, particularly above the waist have a back up plan. you have a good chance of going to the ground.

If Chuck Norris, Dan Insonato, Benny Urquidez, and Bill Wallace see the use in it.

The debate should be closed.

Gerdeau(sp?) was a hell of a kicker but Royce put him down in no time.

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see most kickers put their legs down after they've kicked, so that they have both feet on the floor.

Kicking above the waist is well-known as a bad idea in self-defense, except in special circumstances.

Why should it be closed just because they see a use in it? What makes them the grand authority on martial arts?

Remember as well if you grab someone around the hips you've just exposed your shoulderblades and spine to their hands.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

On 2002-03-26 16:09, Angus wrote:

Must be an extremely talented kicker in a low talent jiu jitsu tournament....

Was it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or normal JJ?

Angus :karate: :up:

That's what I'm thinkin' as well...for a "martial artist" to compete in a discipline he is not trained or belted in is (to me) unethical and a breach of code to the respective discipline..makes me wonder what the final payoff was :???:

Thanks for letting me express my thoughts and opinions :smile:

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

• 6 months later...
what were the rules in this tournament, usually in grappling tournaments there are no strikes allowed, did you ever think that maybe he had better foot work, or that he also studied submissions

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

As far as I know, BJJ evolved from when Mitsuo Maeda traveled to Brazil and taught his style of JJ to Brazillian politician Gastao Gracie's sons. BJJ specializes in working from the mat. I'm sure there is someone who is more knowledgable about the nuances between the two...anyone...?

I'm not a historian, but maybe this will help. Tradtional or Japanese Jui-Jitsu was developed in feudal Japan. It became the martial art choice of the samurai. The samurai's first line of defense was his sword. Jui-Jitsu was used when they were disarmed. Most of the times they were facing an armed opponent(s). It was the first Japanese martial art, and all Japanese martial arts are descended from it. In it's true form it should encompass all aspects of combat. It should have punches, kicks, throws, chokes, joint techniques, and ground techniques. Most modern schools also teach weapon training. As far as my understanding about BJJ (and please correct me if I am wrong) it specializes on a rudimentary take down (such as a simple wrestling double or single leg takedown) and then it all revolves around the guard. This is where you wrap your legs around your opponent. It is from here that you strike your opponent or try a move that will make them submit. Mitsuo Maeda (who it was my undertsanding was the Japanese Ambassador) was a master Judoka (judo player). He taught Gastao Gracie some Judo. Gracie took what he liked and then combined it with street fighting. It is also my understanding that when he traveled to Japan, Gracie had his leg snapped while he was being thrown. Even after his injuries he refused to quit, and won the respect of some of the Judoka in Japan.

NOOOO, LOILOI 44 mitsuyo maeda was a jiu-jitsu and a judo player and he taught carlos gracie, the son of gasteo and than helio the son of carlos, improved the system because he thought some of the techniques required too much strength, so he changed some stuff around,

thats what bjj is,

go to bjj.org for more info

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

• 1 month later...

I've had ribs broken on two occasions while sparring. It certainly didn't stop me from finishing the matches OR the opponents for that matter.

Once I had the pleasure of training with John Will and Dave Meyer (black belts in Machado BJJ) What I learned from them that day completely changed my view of the importance of having grappling competency.

John had many years in the striking arts so he was all too aware of the incompleteness of merely mastering striking.

I would bet any amount of money on a blue belt in BJJ wiping the floor with a blue belt in ANY traditional striking art, although I think the best combination or advantage is a solid background in striking with at least a good working knowledge of grappling.

I'm not going to argue with anyone about this because basically it's quite pointless. (Just giving a word to the wise) :)

I am also not going to debate the superiority of BJJ over other grappling arts, but I will say this: It has proven it's effectiveness on more than one occasion.

Another thought: Ignorance of arts other than your own have the tendency to leave you at a disadvantage not only in a physical confrontation, but intellectually as well. :wink:

"Know yourself, know your enemy, and win the fight."

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

CKDSTUDENT are you kidding do you know who those people are? i think we should realize what they have realized and incorporate ground skills into your training.

I would put money on the bjj guy even if he had no striking skills, lol, i think he would be able to takedown and submit the striker.

I also don't realize why people when they see something that works why they don't incorporate it into their traing. all this "you can't change this" and "you can't mess with tradition" bs is holding the tma's from evolving.