• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HOw easy is it to get a kicker down onto the ground?

So please forgive my ignorance but how does Brazilian JJ differ from regular old Jiu Jutsu?

I tried JJ once as a karate practitioner who used to practice judo and afterwards found I couldn't move my arms for about 4 days!! (I lost a bet - if I'd won my JJ pal had to come to karate!) I found it fascinating to see the differences in the MAs though - a good, if painful, afternoon! :eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, BJJ evolved from when Mitsuo Maeda traveled to Brazil and taught his style of JJ to Brazillian politician Gastao Gracie's sons. BJJ specializes in working from the mat. I'm sure there is someone who is more knowledgable about the nuances between the two...anyone...?

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

Yeap, that's it

Carlos Gracie tested and refined the techniques in no holds barred streetfights against opponents from all arts. He was unbeaten in over 400 street fights I think ? The techniques were modified and it's known as BJJ.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

There seems to a lot of debate about whether the kicker would stop or disable the grappler before or during a takedown attempt. Depends a lot on the 2 people obviously, but for all you kickers out there who say it is easy to break ribs etc with a solid sidekick. When you are sparring in the dojo, how long or how many attempts does it take you to land a solid side kick? Unless you are much more skilled than your partner, it's not easy. If you can't land a solid kick, first time, every time against someone moving in then you are vulnerable.

On the bright side, unlike NHB competitions, there are very few people walking the streets who are experts on take downs. In my experience, if somone rushes you, it is more likely to go to a clinch type situation before the 2 people hit the floor. So being able to handle the clinch (with a judo throw, elbows and knees or even a head butt) is extremely important for all strikers.

On the bright side, unlike NHB competitions, there are very few people walking the streets who are experts on take downs. In my experience, if somone rushes you, it is more likely to go to a clinch type situation before the 2 people hit the floor. So being able to handle the clinch (with a judo throw, elbows and knees or even a head butt) is extremely important for all strikers.

lol, we don't seem to agree on much do we ?

Well, you already know I disagree. Most dojos practice take downs a fair bit, so anyone doing BJJ should be able to take someone down fairly easy. At my dojo there are guys who practice take downs and vale tudo weekly, as well as training where they start on their knees. Makes sense since there grappling time when they start on their knees would be useless unless they can get someone down.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Hey, disagreement is great :razz: keeps me interested and stops my brain going senile

Bon, I'm sure if I was to come to your dojo, Id spend half my time being taken down and the other half getting back up again, only to go straight back down again. :grin: My point bro, was that most thugs on the street don't have that kind of skill, although I grant you, I can't speak for Oz.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2002-03-26 09:46, Joecooke007 wrote:

Well I believe that a grappler could take a kicker down just by closing the gap. Once you get too close for kicks it's open season.

i agree 100%... just get in there, grap around the kickers hips and push your shoulders through... blam!!... down he goes!... lock/choke up and walk off! :bigwink:

"knowledge speaks, wisdom listens" (J. Hendrix)