• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HOw easy is it to get a kicker down onto the ground?

I've only been grappling a year and I'm far from a natural, but kicks above the waist are more an opportunity than a threat. I love it when guys try axe kicks particularly. Bang!

Automatic take down. Leg kicks are a different story. However, if a limited grappler like me can pull off sweeps and reeps consistently, it can't be that hard.

What were the rules of this tournemant?

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
To answer some of your questions, he actually entered the Jiu-jitsu through illegall means, so he was the only non-juijitsu stylist. He also did a lot of low direct kicks and kept his distance...He is also ranked nationally ranked, so yes he's a damn good kicker. I know it is probably difficult for a kicker without any grappling experience to win against a grappler. But in a full-contact fight, wouldn't a full contact side kick to ribs hurt like hell or even break your ribs? Or a HARd axe kick to the head disable u? HOw do you guys do it! ?

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

On 2002-05-20 05:03, koreantiger81 wrote:

To answer some of your questions, he actually entered the Jiu-jitsu through illegall means, so he was the only non-juijitsu stylist. He also did a lot of low direct kicks and kept his distance...He is also ranked nationally ranked, so yes he's a damn good kicker. Personally, I think it is difficult for a kicker without any grappling experience to win against a grappler. As a kicker, I would be cautious and hesistate to go up against a grappler. ok I'm chicken!

But in a full-contact fight, wouldn't a full contact side kick to ribs hurt like hell or even break your ribs? Or a HARd axe kick to the head disable u? For a good kicker, it only takes one solid blow to do some heavy physical damage...

HOw do you grapplers do it! ?

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

A full contact side kick to the chest should break ribs, but that won't necessarily stop some people. Then again there's always swing kicks to the knee or thigh, twisting kicks wherever the hell you want them to be, front kicks as someone tries to move in, downwards kicks if someone tries to duck under a punch and dodge in, and then there're always hand techniques. It all depends on the techniques the kicker uses and how good they are with them.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

YODA is correct as usual. :lol:

A fighter who trains for "kicking only" is a sitting duck, especially against a grappler

who knows how to exploit that split second when the kick re-chambers. A comprehensive knowledge of grappling is the only prayer a fighter has to defend against a grappler. Most fights end up on the ground. Knowing how to avoid being taken down in the first place is something most "kickers" never learned.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

How exactly do you get in close enough to use the moment when the kick rechambers? A punch to the face or a kick to the thigh hurts a grappler and does as much damage as it would to a non-grappler. On top of that kickers often have exceptional balance, so its harder to take them down, especially since they'll be throwing punches and kicks out towards you almost constantly.

I always find it interesting how people seem to say that grapplers are invincible, and can defeat any striking art. Somehow I have to believe it depends more n the person, and on the training.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

I would say it is somewhat difficult to close the gap esp. against a kicker like myself. I won't throw a useless kick or one that leaves me open for a take down. I know how to trick people with one kick and when the fall for it blast them with another.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Grapplers practice take downs a lot. Also, a lot of the guys who train in BJJ have formal training in other striking arts, so it's not like they're practicing against pure non-strikers. I've seen some nice feints where the guy goes to the head and then quickly goes for the legs practically catching the guy in still motion.

The takedowns aren't limited to that, if they get in close and can grab you, they'll most definitely take you down.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

It works like this: Someone who knows how to bumrush, block, sidestep, trap or otherwise intercept a kick can get inside and that is where you have to keep them from pulling you to the ground. Like YODA says: "know your enemy". A basic knowledge of BJJ Aikido, Judo and Wrestling/Boxing is something every martial artist shouldn't be caught dead without. I'm not discounting anyone's abilities here, I'm just saying that not everyone is going to go down just because you throw a kick at them. You could hit some guys with a crowbar and it just pisses them off. Trust me. :wink:

I never claimed that grapplers are invincible, far from it, but the man with the most diverse abilities has a better chance in the arena of "real world" fighting. ...My opinion.

"It is not enough to aim, you must hit."

-Italian Proverb

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-05-27 03:39 ]

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"