• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HOw easy is it to get a kicker down onto the ground?

I'm not a jiu-jitsu martial artist. I practice tae kwon do.(However, I would like to learn jiu-jitsu someday.) Anyway, I went to watch an open style tournament last year. One of my fellow tae kwon do classmates bought a jiu-jitsu uniform and entered the sports jiu-jitsu division. He went down on the ground a few times, but scored mostly standing up right. My fellow tae kwon do class mate ended up getting Gold. (It was a big division too. )He basically beat them at their own sport. I don't say this to offend or critisize jiu-jitsu. I'm just wondering hOw a tae kwon do ist can get Gold in a Jiu jit su tournament? Perhaps, is it hard to get a kicker down on the ground? I would like to get a jiu-jitsu perspective on this. Please post your replys. I'm curious to find out.

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-03-26 00:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-03-26 00:37 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the guys didn't know any takedowns ? I doubt that though..

If a striker manages to keep his range then it would be kinda hard to take them down, but if they don't know you're a grappler, then I reckon you should be able to take them down with ease. I still think a decent grappler should take a striker to the ground, even if he gets hit in the process.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Must be an extremely talented kicker in a low talent jiu jitsu tournament....

Was it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or normal JJ?

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Hey Angus

You read my mind bud :grin:

I find it VERY easy to take down kickers - especially if we are "playing" and we both know they are looking to kick. Last time this came up at the club we (Kicker & me) squared up and went at it. (Kicker was 4th Dan TKD). After a brief move around I drew a front kick from him and shot in on his retraction - Steeeeeerike one :grin: Down we went.

2nd time he nailed me good with a side kick, but I just kept going (yes it hurt like stink, but it didn't stop me) - Steeerike 2 :grin:

3rd time lucky? Nope! This time he was taken entirely by supprise as I nailed him in the side of the head with a high kick - THEN took him down. Steeeeerike 3 :grin:

Basically in my experience (which is researched rather than theorised) A good kicker has one chance - if he misses or fails to "close the deal" with that kick - we're down! I have met kickers who can "score" on me before I can take them down - but as yet not one who can stop me - and we've gone full contact. The opnly guys I know who can reliably prevent a takedown are people with extensive grappling training. "Know your enemy" :nod:

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

if you are fighting a grappler it is wise not to kick very high,,,,,,,,,,,also stick with direct kicks instead of indirect kicks and make them fast.......another thing follow up your kicks with punches so you can get out of the critical distance line

for me personally ....... being a kickboxer and jiu jitsu stylist i dont really worry about being taken down because i know how to fight on the ground and on my feet.....

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

depends on the kicker but i agree stay away from high kicks and try to stay outside. remember maurice smith is primarily a kicker/puncher and he does well against grapplers

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to make an assumption that this tournament where the TKD person won "gold" was probably in some sort of point sparring format. It's easy to score points with wild kicks in point sparring because they don't necessarily have to connect to score the point. Also, if this is an open tournament, other people from other styles also probably entered the sport jujitsu portion. Don't assume your TKD friend was the only one who wasn't a grappler.

When two tigers fight, one dies and the other is mortally wounded.

• 3 weeks later...

very interesting...i know we train to take down kickers... i would also like to know if it was bjj or danzan ryu or some other from or jiu jitsu...

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo