• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Christians & the rank of Master

Many Masters prefer not to be called master. For example I began karate with a guy who is not a 8th degree in another style and his students refer to him as Sensei. He does not allow them to refer to him as master.

To answer your question, if the word Master is difficult for you to say to soemone there are japanese versions of respect that can be spoken---if that helps.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Masters prefer not to be called master. For example I began karate with a guy who is not a 8th degree in another style and his students refer to him as Sensei. He does not allow them to refer to him as master.

To answer your question, if the word Master is difficult for you to say to soemone there are japanese versions of respect that can be spoken---if that helps.

I think the reason I got caught up in it was the English word, master. Someone asked if it bothered me that a master electrician fixed my wall socket. The difference is, I've never met one who wants to be called, Master Smith.

While I've comes to terms with it, (even in English) the Korean & Japanese words do sound more natural.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I'll just say that I feel that the martial art "master" is a rank, I was elevated to that rank last July. I'm also a Lutheran, and go to church. People that I've known have had some issues with me as a "master" but not for religious reasons. Outside of church, when involved with the martial art of your choice, I think the title should be respected. I tell you what though, I don't know what I'm going to do the first time someone calls me "master" at the church........there can be only one master at that house, I'll be waiting for the lightning bolt.

I'll just say that I feel that the martial art "master" is a rank, I was elevated to that rank last July. I'm also a Lutheran, and go to church. People that I've known have had some issues with me as a "master" but not for religious reasons. Outside of church, when involved with the martial art of your choice, I think the title should be respected. I tell you what though, I don't know what I'm going to do the first time someone calls me "master" at the church........there can be only one master at that house, I'll be waiting for the lightning bolt.

The lightning bolt in church won't happen. You're a master in the dojang. You know that, & God knows that, too. You come across as a level-headed, decent guy, MasterH. You know who is master of what.:D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Darn toot'n I know. I am in the dojo, my wife (1st Degree) is at home, and Jesus is anywhere he wants to be.

Can I get an Amen?!

Amen, Brother! :D At home, I know who "the boss of me" is too. Seriously, she's a good woman. We both call Jesus, Master, tho.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem calling the guy "Mr." but have a problem with "Master". Due to religious convictions from a 2000 (ish) year young religion. Aside from the fact that the word is being used in a completely different context and the English language is rich in contextual meaning, have a boo at this.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19991021

check out what "Mr." meant before the 16th century. Close to the bottom of the page. And stop blaming "faith" for something you can resolve with common sense.

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, then you can head off your foes with a balanced attack!"

Well my 3 cents is this. If some "maturity lacking over fantsized religious zealot" wants to split hairs over the bible. The here is my opinion, 1) God is refered to as our heavenly father so does me calling my birth father dad become hereacy? 2) If so them the pope (derived from latin meaning father) or anytime someone refers to a priest as "father" they are "sinning." The aposles called those they spoke with as brothers & where never called "father" so & so. So does that make the christian religion tainted?

Then while they are making excuses I simply point out that we are all the children of god & whether you call any man lord, king, father, dad or master it is only a title of respect.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!