• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Christians & the rank of Master

I don't know why people let religion get in the way of an activity they enjoy. Is it guilt? Fear? Someone help me to understand, here.

In many cases it's a good thing. Religion can interfere with drug use, promiscuity, dishonesty...even though people may enjoy these activities.

I believe that you're taking things too literally. I believe the bible is refering to master in the spiritual sense not the physical sense. If you follow somone and serve them as if they were god, then you have a problem.

That's the point: fundamentalists take the bible literally as part of their religion. They believe every word in the Bible is literal, including Mathew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters". I don't agree with them, but this is what they say.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

patusai, while I agree that it is a rediculous argument, you are missing an important point. The Bible does not say that you cannot call someone "father", but it does say that "you cannot serve two masters" (Mathew 6:24).

This is, of course, a silly argument because I don't know anyone who "serves" his MA master.

You're right about your bible verse. I think that there is confusion about what "serve" means. I believe that money can be considered a "master" too. The more I think about it the less I worry about it. I think that God understands the whole thing a lot better than I do and I believe that he is more worried about other things that I may do moreso than my karate

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

patusai, while I agree that it is a rediculous argument, you are missing an important point. The Bible does not say that you cannot call someone "father", but it does say that "you cannot serve two masters" (Mathew 6:24).

This is, of course, a silly argument because I don't know anyone who "serves" his MA master.

You're right about your bible verse. I think that there is confusion about what "serve" means. I believe that money can be considered a "master" too. The more I think about it the less I worry about it. I think that God understands the whole thing a lot better than I do and I believe that he is more worried about other things that I may do moreso than my karate

Exactly!

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!