Christians & the rank of Master

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

patusai, while I agree that it is a rediculous argument, you are missing an important point. The Bible does not say that you cannot call someone "father", but it does say that "you cannot serve two masters" (Mathew 6:24).

This is, of course, a silly argument because I don't know anyone who "serves" his MA master.

I brought a piece of pumpkin cheese cake to my "Master" - he's an old dude who does not dwell on formality and doesn't insist on anyone calling him master. I don't think I was "serving" him, I do think I was doing an great old divorced guy a homemade dessert type favour. The best kind of favour IMO.

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, then you can head off your foes with a balanced attack!"

• 3 weeks later...

its a different meaning of master

hell, isnt a young male called a master too?

what about chefs, there are master chefs too.

master = instructor = sensai (in karate) etc etc

not master = boss = you say and i do master

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

• 4 months later...

I am a Christian and I am currentlty studying to be a pastor. I have no problem calling a sensei or teacher "master." He or she has worked hard and obtained that rank and I will call them that out of respect for the rank. It is not a "worship" issue, but a respect one in my book.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

To me..."master" is the title granted to me by my association. It is basically short for "master instructor", and not that I feel like I am anyone's master, but I do think i've become a pretty decent teacher over the last 20 years...

I always thought of it as short for "Master of XYZ Martial Art." I never thought of it as my Master.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

This is how I feel about this situation: Do you still call your doctor Dr. Smith, or do you refuse to recoginize his station? What about teachers? This is how I view the master title; it is a station achieved in the MA community, and it should not be offensive to anyone of a religious manner.

• 3 weeks later...

Im fine with calling my Sifu exactly that because the way I see it, he (or she - depends on your situation obviously) has worked and trained very hard to obtain his knowledge and should therefore be respected for this.

However, I feel I have been without faith for a long time and am considering looking to find an alternative religion (im currently Catholic). The main religions I'd look into are Zen-Bhuddism and Taoism.

"We follow the World,

The World follows Heaven,

Heaven follows Tao,

Tao follows the way things are."

I believe that you're taking things too literally. I believe the bible is refering to master in the spiritual sense not the physical sense. If you follow somone and serve them as if they were god, then you have a problem.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I don't know why people let religion get in the way of an activity they enjoy. Is it guilt? Fear? Someone help me to understand, here.

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!