• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practicality of karate.

Haddock

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I'm considering taking up a karate for self-defense. I did karate with my brother before for a few weeks when I was young but my brother quit so I quit too. I enjoyed it for the brief time I did it, and I've decided to take up martial arts again.

I've been told by a few people that karate isn't practical for defense in real life situations (ie getting attacked on the streets). Is this true? Have you ever had experience with using karate to defend yourself in a real life situation, if so, how did it go?

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You have a legit question and from my perspective there's a short and a not so short answer.

Your short answer is: Yes, it is extremely effective on the street. That is what it was created for.

Your not so short answer has been discussed many, many times on various threads throughout the forum. Questions like; How effective is it? Is it effective against other arts like ones that grapple? What about the UFC? Why doesn't traditional karate do well there? Has anyone ever used it on the street? How much of the effectiveness is dependent on the instructor? What is a Mcdojo and how do I avoid it? These questions have all been asked and if you do a search on them after you do some reading you will find many answers. But when you are all done what you really will have is a bunch of opinions and a few facts that only raise more questions.

My suggestion is that you look for a quality instructor teaching more then just generic "American Karate". Ask him specifically what art he practices (Goju-ryu, Shorin-ryu, Okinawan Kenpo, Ueichi-ryu, Shotokan, Issin-ryu for example) and if it is a type of karate ask him if he can trace his lineage to Okinawa. If it's a Kung fu, ask him if he can trace it back to China. If it's a Korean or Japanese art, ask the same. If he can provide you with a direct lineage then give him a chance, most dojo's offer a intro week or two for free. Ask him questions about effectiveness and watch him demonstrate and then make up you're own mind. But if you're going to judge something you need to get these things from the horse's mouth, via personal experience. All the opinions and explaining in the world will mean nothing otherwise.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely take that advice when I start. I definitely want to avoid going to a "McDojo". I should also mention that I live in England, if that makes any difference to how dojos teach etc.

So if I get taught real karate by someone properly qualified, I'll be able to defend myself well if I get attacked on the streets?

If you find an instructor that says it has to be this way and only this way BE CAREFUL. If the instructor is defensive and appears that he has something to prove beware. Check out the instructor and his or her accomplishments.

My instructor comes up on several sites if you just google his name.

If they have no full contact experience then I would not feel that they have enough experience for practical training. Many instructors can give you tools but cannot teach you how and when to use them.

:evil:

Edited by Ego Assassin

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

The last thing on my check list is street practicality. You want to be safe on the street, do the following:

1) stay away from dangerous places

2) stay away from dangerous people

3) keep your wits about you

4) try not to stay out late

Pick a martial art you will enjoy doing for a long time. After consistent practice, because you like it so much, you might pick-up valuable street-worthy skills. Just about any martial art will give you something. Many years ago, the fencing coach at my uni was attacked by some thugs. He fought them off and disarmed them with his umbrella.

The last thing on my check list is street practicality. You want to be safe on the street, do the following:

1) stay away from dangerous places

2) stay away from dangerous people

3) keep your wits about you

4) try not to stay out late .

That Mengro, is the best MA technique you can possibly learn. :up:

The best defense is to not be there in the first place. Its this practical common sense that many people neglect and it often leads to unwanted situations and confrontations.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Haha, thanks for the thumbs up Shotochem. I was actually going to edit that post because it sounded too "evasive." But after more than half a life-time in the martial arts, it's my best response to the self-defense question.

I agree to the above.

Self Defense is:

1) Basically, the art of fighting without fighting.

2) The art of not being there in the first place.

3) In relation to Martial Arts, something you do with your hands, feet, and body, in order to capitalize your opponents weaknesses, and survive the situation.

Later!

:)

Edited by shogeri

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...