• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Today at school i sparred a boxer. We did it a little more controlled. He used gloves and did stricly boxing,a nd I could not hit him, just strictly BJJ. I took him down a couple of times, but had toruble finishing him off. I saw my weakenesses, and I had a lot of fun. I weigh aroud 150-155, and he wieghs i beleive 180 or a little above.

Who had the advantage here?

and when i got a hold of him, i got his back stnding up and had trouble bringing him to the ground. hes also a pretty strong kid and i was surprised i got ahold of him. what are good ways of bringing him down?

thanks.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yeah, my wrestling skills suck, plus i have long legs, so it was very difficult to get my hooks in when i got his back.

What is your rank and how long have you been training? It sounds like you did pretty well. I'd say most of your trouble came due to the fact that you were concerned with hurting eachother which makes you pull techniques rather than commit to them. :evil:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

What is your rank and how long have you been training? It sounds like you did pretty well. I'd say most of your trouble came due to the fact that you were concerned with hurting eachother which makes you pull techniques rather than commit to them. :evil:
why thank you,lol. this month will be my 5th month completed. and yesterday i moved up in a rank in white belt. my concernw as getting him to the ground. i learned a lot, like to stay real tight when you mount them. it is also a good expeirence to go against a puncher bercause i initally started this for self defense, and i need to get the feel for it.

This is good because you probably open the Boxers eyes to BJJ. The submissions will come easier. In the beginning, especially for self-defense, it's not whether or not you had a hard time getting the submissions its just whether or not you get them period. Right now your body is still trying to coordinate itself to the movements and is actually using too many muscles to get the job done. Pick one technique and get with a partner once a day , apart from class, and do 50 reps of that one technique. There are lots of moves to choose from so just pick one that stands out to you. Do this and you'll not only see your game grow leaps and bounds but so will everyone else. :brow:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

hes also a pretty strong kid and i was surprised i got ahold of him. what are good ways of bringing him down?

thanks.

The most basic of takedowns I can suggest (and explain online) would be a double underhooks body lock.

Im going to assume that your boxing opponent had no grappling experience whatsoever and that you should dominate the clinch. Once you get to the clinch "pummel" your way into getting double underhooks (pummeling is a way to get inside control- ask your instructor about it).

Once you get both underhooks, you're going to slide your grip down to his hips and suck them in like a bearhug and you drive your head (forehead should be right in his chest) forward. This basically bends the guy backwards in half and often allows for a good opportunity to mount an inexperienced person. There are variations of this move which include numerous trips, but give this one a try first.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd raise his guard, and shoot to his legs, bringing him down with a scoop. I have sparred many boxers and this is the stratagy I allways use, simple but it works, it's the same move that Royce Gracie did too the Strikers in the early days of UFC.

Shoot for the leg. but do a feint, fake, or strike first.

With wrestling, it's about who gets there first, and knows how to follow through.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...