• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with Nihongo

Ken Po

Can someone tell me how to say a few words in Japanese?

Inhale

Exhale

Posture

Follow me

Relax

Practice

Thanks in advance. One week to go and I'll be in Kobe, Japan.

Ken Po: As expected, 24FC right on, but just a few extras to consider -

* Inhale/exhale - quite simply: sutte/haite

* Inhale - Shinkokyu (often said during practice - stretching time - when you inhale deeply - doing breathing exercises) Alternatively, kuuki o suu (breathe air); iki o suru (draw a breath); suikomu...

* Exhale - iki o haku (haite - command form) (also when you are out of breath - haha o suru).

* Posture - Shisei (posture) o tadashite (adjust); shitai (pose); you will also hear - kon mama de (do it like this); kono katachi de (like this position)..etc while showing you the correct posture.

* Follow me - I believe you want someone to copy what you are doing...? So, kono yo ni (..like this); or watashi o maneshite (imitate/copy me)

* Relax - at the end of the set - after yame - you might hear - yasume (rest/relax); if you are too tense - chikara o nuide (let the strength out/don't tense up. Also "ri - raku" - shite (suru) (literally Japanese pronunciation of relax. But after practice - relax and chill - nombiri/bura-bura o suru.

Practice=renshu shimasu (suru) (v) - Training - keiko (n)

Enjoy....Osu.

TS

Takeda Shingen - 武田信玄

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Big thanks you guys. I don't know how my buddy handles the teaching but I'm going on the assumption they won't understand any english. Maybe some of his students are also in his English Language class.

I asked him how much nihongo he picked up while there and either he's real modest (not a typical American trait) or he's not doing too well with it.

I know I butchered the Chinese language from Beijing to Guanzhou during my 2 trips to that country.

Also I like to at least make an effort to learn the language and customs of the countries I visit.

I don't frequent Karate forums but I'll post here and let you know how it went when I get back.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, just a quick update in case anyone is interested. I'm back from my trip to Kobe, Japan.

The words I got from you guys worked out fine. There was a little bit of english but they are as reluctant to speak it as I am speaking Nihongo.

Anyhow, my friend knew most of what was needed plus his wife was there to translate. All in all it went well. Most likely we'll be returning again next year.

Next year though we'll probably take the bullet train to Tokyo. My buddies are into the sword cutting and will go to train with Hataya Sensei and I might just look up the Qigong Master Ji Xing Li.

If any of you guys haven't been there yet what are you waiting for?

I've found that experiences are as good, and sometimes more valuable, than material possessions. Don't let your purchases hold you back.