• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sessions with kids of different ages / The lazy pupil

Hi. I'm new at the forum.

I have recently started teaching karate to a small group of kids. They are only 8 kids, but the problem is their age difference, since there are 2 4-year-old boys and the rest of them are around 9.

The main problem is that one of the small kids is always laying on the floor or stopped. While I do nothing about it, he doesn't work but the rest of the class is seriously doing what I tell them to do. But, when I try to get the litte boy working, the other 7 pupils get distracted and stop paying attention. It gets really frustrating.

My class is developed at the same time than an aerobic class, and the music and watching the other class gets them distracted.

What would you do? How could I encourage them to try harder and stop playing every moment I stop working with them?

I have only had 2 sessions with them so I suppose I am still on time to change some things. Since they are too young I don't want to punish them by making pull-ups or similar, but I need a way to impose them to be doing the right thing at the right moment. There are times for plays, but when I want them to work on something I would want them to try their bests, knowing their limits and enjoying the activity.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, since the rest of the kids are about 9, you should be able to let them know that you expect them to focus and that there will be consequences for becoming distracted while talking with the 4-year-old. Or, give the kids something fun to do that they won't be distracted from while you talk with the little guy, like follow the leader, "karte tag", run around the room/workout area while screaming and clapping their hands (might get a bit harder to talk to the younger one with this, though). Or, maybe participation in these activities would be enough to hold his attention, and you can, over time, help him build his focus from there. He is only four, so if you can only get a very small improvement from him at first, that's fine, just keep aiming for those tiny improvements. Give him LOTS of praise every time he pays attention for longer than he normally does. On the other hand, maybe he's just had an off two days, or is still adjusting to seeing you as an authority figure.

Hmm, tough one.

Two main issues here:

Parent participation - Parents can 'help' you to get these kids in order. As to the child who doesn't want to participate, i would say the parents need to be informed that either the child participates or he's out. But, do remember not to give parents 'too much' leeway here, or they'll end up taking over your class.

Distraction - you need to either change the time of the class, block the view so the kids eyes don't wander, play your own music, or use the music being played.

It may not be possible to resolve via the first three solutions presnted so you may have to resort to having the kids workout with the 'same' music that is being played in the other class. Music presents a rhythm and if your class rhythm doesn't meet the beat of the music in the background, the kids are going to be confused and distracted very easily.

Frankly, i would say that's your #1 problem right now... the distractions. Deal with that before you consider reining in your little varmints. In order for those kids to 'focus' on you, you need to be the 'loudest,' most 'vibrant' activity thier little eyes and ears capture.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

first off i have found that kids classes should be not much longer than one hour or you will loose their concentration. secound dont get to serious with them play games that trick them into doing karate movements, and give rewards. Sometimes we would give patches to the childern who preform well or stripes on their belt. Such as respect stripe or power patch just to get the others to say to themselves i want that so i better try harder. I dont know use you imagination and good luck

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

I would have to say I agree with the advice Ive seen so far. Also I would like to point out that the attention span of a 4 year old maxes out at about 30mins. Its possible to maybe pull it out to about 45mins but that is a lot of work to do so. If possible it is best to seperate 3-5 year olds from older children. If you cannot do this then you will need to change your format.

Young children need high energy motivation to keep them going. Also setting up say an obstalcle coarse or something of that nature. I found that the more you make the kids move the better off they are. I would make them do a relay race and at certain parts of it they would do a tech then continue. So they get all nice and sweaty and practice the tech's I want them to and they think its fun. Its a win/win situation for everyone that way.

Respectfully Yours,

Keith

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Well, thanks a lot for your replies.

After the 2 initial days, I started changing the lesson structure. The first days I got them doing games at the start of the class, as a warming up, and after that we started with karate properly said. After the days, I have realised that they give more of themselves when mixing up some games in the middle of the karate stuff, since they don't need to be focused for so a long time.

Apart from that, they are getting used to karate lessons, and there are some more pupils. They enjoy the lesson a lot, or at least that's what I feel.

I currently have 700+ students, all under 16 yo. Ignore bad behavior(to a point of course) and reward good. Praise student who are listening and working, give them your attention. Everyone wants sensei's attention. :o)

place clever martial arts phrase here

As a General rule, we don't accept children under 6 years of age. I myself have a 4 year old daughter. She isn't ready. We took her to dancing school, and have gotten similar results. They don't have enough understanding for this sort of thing. Unfortunately this of course doesn't help you now.

Altough it isn't exactly the same, I noticed when taking my daughter to dancing school, the more experienced places have at least one more person helping out. This is to keep the kids from getting distracted.

Good luck