• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are good exercises to improve balance and flexibility?

I am a practioner of Youn Wha Ryu Tae Kwon Do, and I have a tournament coming up soon. What are some good balace/flexibility exercises to get quick results? I only have two weeks. :bawling:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Practice, stretching, and time!
But, do I have ENOUGH time... The tournament is October 29th... Also, do you think it would help my flexibility if I HELD the splits for like... 5 minutes on each side?

Get a set of 2 - 5 lbs. ankle weights and kick out (slowly) and hold your leg out with proper foot position for at least 5 seconds. repeat at least 5 times on each leg and do this for turn kick, side kick, and front snap kick. Then stretch out. Keep the ankle weights on, lie down on your back and do 3 sets of 25 "fold-ups" which is a leg raise and a crunch at the same time. (You're folding yourself in half at the waist. Get it?) Try and hold the foldup at its peak for three seconds on each rep, and don't let your legs or back hit the ground on the way down. Try and hold your legs and back at about an inch off the ground for 3 seconds on the way down. Stretching after each set is good, but not necessary. When you're finished, take off the ankle weights and practice your best, most powerful, highest kicks. Do at least turn kick, side kick, and front snap kick, but I'd recomend twist, hook, inside and outside crescent, and back spin as well; anything you anticipate using in competition. Do at least 5 reps on each leg per kick. Remember to stretch again when you're finished. If you can do it everyday, you'll have phenomenal kicks two weeks from now, but at least every other day will be sufficient. Take the day before the tournament off from this workout (but remember to stretch anyway.) I used this plan in April 2 weeks before the USSSA Region 1 TKD championships and won the whole thing. Good luck!

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Get a set of 2 - 5 lbs. ankle weights and kick out (slowly) and hold your leg out with proper foot position for at least 5 seconds. repeat at least 5 times on each leg and do this for turn kick, side kick, and front snap kick. Then stretch out. Keep the ankle weights on, lie down on your back and do 3 sets of 25 "fold-ups" which is a leg raise and a crunch at the same time. (You're folding yourself in half at the waist. Get it?) Try and hold the foldup at its peak for three seconds on each rep, and don't let your legs or back hit the ground on the way down. Try and hold your legs and back at about an inch off the ground for 3 seconds on the way down. Stretching after each set is good, but not necessary. When you're finished, take off the ankle weights and practice your best, most powerful, highest kicks. Do at least turn kick, side kick, and front snap kick, but I'd recomend twist, hook, inside and outside crescent, and back spin as well; anything you anticipate using in competition. Do at least 5 reps on each leg per kick. Remember to stretch again when you're finished. If you can do it everyday, you'll have phenomenal kicks two weeks from now, but at least every other day will be sufficient. Take the day before the tournament off from this workout (but remember to stretch anyway.) I used this plan in April 2 weeks before the USSSA Region 1 TKD championships and won the whole thing. Good luck!

Sounds like a plan to me. Nice job!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

P.S., when you're kicking and holding with the ankle weights on, make sure to take it slow and don't snap the kick. This can damage your joints. Full power kicking with ankle weights on is a BAD idea. Make sure to go slow. Also, try not to support yourself on a wall if you don't have to. Train your balance to be able to do this exercise while free standing, and it will pay off in the future. You'll be rooted to the ground, even while standing on one foot.

Practice, stretching, and time!
But, do I have ENOUGH time... The tournament is October 29th... Also, do you think it would help my flexibility if I HELD the splits for like... 5 minutes on each side?

No. The most you should hold any single stretch before moving is around a minute. There are muscle responses to continuous loads that can injure you if you stay in a stretch for long periods.

You may be able to get some small gains in flexibility in two weeks, but nothing major. Balance, same thing.

Do a google search for "balance exercises" and "stretching", and you will find a wealth of material. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Thanks!

Oh yeah I've seen those things. What do you do with it besides stand on it? Or is that enough to improve your balance?