• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What impact have the martial arts had on your life?

I was like younwhagrl (I started at 24, Eric LOL). Plus I didn't stick with anything (jobs, activities, music ... nothing). But I stuck with MA (eventhough I did a bit of dojang jumping). I don't plan on quiting either. I feel it's the one thing that I'm good at (physically), and makes me happy (other than my man, my family, and close friends). The character building is the most important to me. I'm still learning mentally as far as MA goes, but it's good for me. And I AM totally addicted. Even if I feel like I wanna give up, I don't. Something draws me "closer" to MA and gets me back (don't ask, I can't explain it LOL).

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Definitely improved my life. My physical condition is better (I was always fit - I was a long distance runner and cyclist before I took up karate, but karate has improved my overall physical shape), it gives me the regular physical challenge and the confidence that comes from self-mastery, although I'm far from ready to apply any of the stuff I've learned. Still, there's something good about sparring with much higher grades every week, knowing you're likely to be beaten but conquering you fears and giving it all you've got anyway.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Let's just say that the martial arts--karate, specifically--has permeated every aspect of my life. I feel that I am more confident in things I do, I feel safer when I'm out alone, I feel healthier, and most of all, I feel like if I can kick the way I do (something I NEVER could picture myself doing before) and do the things that I do on the dojo floor, I can do just about anything I put my mind to. I think the martial arts saved my life, plain and simple. :)

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Karate is not only self-defense or sport. It is also therapy in motion for me. I say this every time I post in every martial arts forum I join. It is a constant re-affirmation of the boon I get from my brand of martial arts. :)

Thanks, Laurie! :D

I think we're all really blessed to be doing what we're doing. There are so many people who think that the martial arts is all about kicking and punching and just being violent. They have no idea that there's a depth to it that only a martial artist can experience and understand.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Have the martial arts changed your life (for better or maybe worse) to the point where you "wouldn't be where you are without them?"

Are they simply a part of the experiences you've had in your life? Your life would be great even without them.

Well other than a closet full of Gi's, a wall full of belts, and certificates, and lots of martial arts books, NOTHING. ;-)

Actually, I've learned a great deal. Besides learning my art, I've learned how to be a better person. I'm still learning, and I will probably keep learning as long as I live. To me, Martial Arts are now a great part of my life.

Thanks, Laurie! :D

I think we're all really blessed to be doing what we're doing. There are so many people who think that the martial arts is all about kicking and punching and just being violent. They have no idea that there's a depth to it that only a martial artist can experience and understand.

I totally agree. I do believe I was blessed with MA (mentally). And I'm still learning ;)

Laurie F