• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

suggestions/adivce please

steelhead

Our school is not a tournament school but we have a few (youth) students who like to compete on occassion. We had two students who wanted to attend a large tournament over the weekend that was primarily a TKD tournament. I took them to the event and they both perfomed their kata very well. I wasn't suprised that they didn't place due to the large number of participants and the fact that their traditional Shorin Ryu kata's were only about 20% in length compared to the others. They also kia d

only twice in appropriate places instead of 72 times (yes I counted).

The point sparring then started and I was disappointed that seperate divisions were not made taking size into account. Several of the participants were TWICE the size of their competitors! One participant was 6'+ tall while others were 4'9 and petite. I allowed one of my students to compete because she is experienced. She did well and placed 3rd even though she weighs 60 lbs and was up against 100lbs. After I saw a subsequent fight where a large competitor axe kicked the smaller competitor on the shoulder/neck the I did not let my other student compete in sparring because I feared for his safety (Again severe differences in size within division). Several other people had approached the judges prior to kata and asked that the division be split (there were 18+ competitors) by size. I can see why it isn't necessary to split kata) Obviously, there is a responsibility to do what is right and not allow a student to get hurt. How far should I have taken it with the divisions. Should I have asked the judge to reconsider? Should I have asked that the competition be delayed and check with the organizer? I'm satisfied that the right decision was made to withhold this student but this student had paid $65 to compete not counting parking etc. I will refund his $ because I was responsible for not researching the event more thouroughly. Thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's difficult to answer, but I think you're quite nice to refund the student's money. But I also think you should have researched it a little more. I do think you acted right by not letting them compete.

On the other hand, you're an experience richer.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help you anymore. I'm really out of my element when it comes to competitions, etc. But I felt I had to say something.

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

I think you did the right thing. It's better safe then sorry and in my view if there's a serious chance you're going to get hurt too badly to complete the matches then you shouldn't be starting them.

It really doesn't do any good to get into the politics of tournaments. They are organized the way they are organized and in most circumstances the people responsible aren't very open to suggestions (that's been my experiance anyway). Both you and you're students learned a lot from the competition and performed your arts with integrity which in traditional arts is really where the prize lies. Our arts weren't meant to bring home trophies.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

i think you did a right thing not letting him compete in a wrong division, in small tournoments because of small number of compatitors they can't go with normal 8 weight groups , if they make 3 groups still the weight difference could be around 30-40 lbs which is too much.but you could explained this to the organizer and try to get his money back though,

this is really to bad but typical of the tournament scene. I have also had bad experiences in tournaments and refuse to even go watch them due to the lack of martial arts that i see in them. It is more like a shouting gymnastic match than karate. If your students want to participate in extracurricular activities outside of class maybe research a good seminar of camp to attend would be my advice.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8