• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Probational Black Belt

I just tested for my 1st Dan Blackbelt in TKD. I passed but we have to wear a blackbelt with a white stripe down it for 6 months before we get our belt with our names on it and everything. does anyone else have to do that? also, how do you get a belt avatar?

A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i ahvnt heard of that, but i can see why they would do it even though i w ouldnt d it myself if i ran the place. Go to fact to look at the different avartars......in the top left corner

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

My school had the same kind of conditions. We didn't have a separate "probationary" belt, but they basically just reserved the right to take our rank from us if we didn't prove to be adequate black belts, ie. we quit right after promotion, misused our skills, were insufficient teachers etc. They said that period would last a year before our promotion was permanent.

We have a probationary BB. It's just a plain black belt with nothing on it. Which comes before 1st dan (with writing on it). My view on it is to see who is for real and who's not (I don't know if this is my instructors view, but it's what I've seen). Red and black belts in our dojang test every 6 months, and some don't go that long. They just quit. The ones who are serious still train, hang in there and bust their butt to get to BB. Some quit after that, but for the most part, they stay and work their buns off.

Laurie F

I think its a great idea, however personaly i think a black belts poistion shouldnt be question. I think a black belt should be a concrete thing, your there or your not. I find probation is kind of contradicting

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I mean, to test for your 1st dan blackbelt in our school, you have to know the Taeguek poomses. Once you have your probation blackbelt you learn the Koryo poomse and then get tested on it for your real blackbelt.

A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.