• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bruce Lee...Greatest fighter?

As everyone has noted, Bruce taught methods and principles, rather than just techniques. He still did Lap Sao, Chi Sao, Pac Sao, and perhaps some other wing chun and taijiquan skill building techniques. I would say that he liked to new things, especially when he felt they would benefit him.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His was a system.

It just wasn't what the type of system that the traditional martial arts had evolved into.

His was a structured way based upon the principles and methods of combative fighting.

Even thought everyone back then, including him tried to avoid the term, in reality it was still a vehicle for the martial arts, and at the core of any traditional system, the same can be said.

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

It was a system of concepts and principles.

He took students through a set syllabus, and awarded certificates of completion through a number of phases.

He was heavy into the physical drills of CMA, and mixed those with training similar to that of western boxing.

This allowed one to be more flexible (so Bruce believed), than what was normally found in the traditional styles or systems.

Which even throughout today, still seem to not offer, in the short term, the tools in which to help a person become a better fighter.

Dan Inosanto, noted that Bruce failed to look deep into the ancient Chinese Methods of Martial Arts.

In hindsight, his effect on the social acceptance of the Chinese Arts throughout the world, cannot be denied.

He was a catalyst in this regard.

Other than that, he was just a man, who was a martial artist and entertainer, with bills, and a family to support.

"Which even throughout today, still seem to not offer, in the short term, the tools in which to help a person become a better fighter. "

then why do so many people follow it?

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

The key point to my statement, was 'short term'...

People expect quick results, and even with JKD they won't get it.

Bruce trained for years, and researched for that many more before teaching. His skill was profound for that time period.

Just as I struggle to move from (or between) Goju Ryu, and

Taijiquan (Chinese Boxing, etc), so to did Bruce not truly be able to shed his Wing Chun roots.

It was easier for Bruce, since he continued primarily with the external aspects, whereas my training is leading me to internal.

The people of JKD learn the principles of WC that Bruce felt worked most of the time, along with some simple footwork belonging to western boxing & wrestling, some powerful kicks from TKD, and then basic Chin Na or joint locking.

Basically the essential elements found in most CMA systems.

Of course I have his books, and even trained with a senior student of Progressive Fighting Systems (Paul Vunak's). We covered chi sao, lap sao, pak sao, gum sao, Jao Sao, and Jut Sao. I worked mostly with handwork since I felt my TKD background still heavily influenced my Goju Ryu back then.

He was an adaptive fighter, and had to change very little (it seemed), even when I changed my fighting strategy on an extreme level.

To me, it's not that it (JKD) produces poor fighters. Not better ones either. Just different ones. Ones that do not want to be robots or like those that expect a reverse punch followed by a frontkick to work, or a roundhouse followed up with a spinning back kick to work...

Later!

"To me, it's not that it (JKD) produces poor fighters. Not better ones either. Just different ones. Ones that do not want to be robots or like those that expect a reverse punch followed by a frontkick to work, or a roundhouse followed up with a spinning back kick to work"

so in other words a different way of fighting?

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu