• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bruce Lee...Greatest fighter?

I give Bruce Lee no more credit than i would any other movie-martial artist. Yes, they inspire some people to join the arts. Yes, a thimble-full of them actually rise above black belt. But, it is what is within them that makes them who they are... not the movie credits. What motivates a person to walk into that door... that's recruiting. It's not instruction and it doesn't develop the martial artist.

In fact, it is the instructors that develop the martial artists... and instead, the limelighters get the credit. Bruce Lee was a limelighter.

I can't tell if you're agree'n with me, disagree'n with me, have a thing against the mythology of Bruce Lee or the man himself.

First I said he was a great fighter who made great things happen. Then I said the great things were the martial artists he inspired to train...some of which are in turn doing great things. In the first paragraph quoted above, you agree'd that he inspired martial artists. That's what I've been saying all along. I could care less about the morality of his movies because it's only entertainment. I'm not talking about the wannabes or what not who gave up when they found out what the martial arts are all about. I'm talking about good/great martial artists that were initially inspired to seek out the arts due to Bruce Lee's influence. What happens after they step into the dojo is of no responsibility to Bruce Lee. It's between the individual and the instructors.

In short, the propagation of martial arts is a great thing. When someone aids in this process, it's a great thing. Bruce Lee deserves and gets credit for aiding in the process of great things happening within the martial arts community.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The primary weakness I refer to is that he short-changed many effective styles, since many times, he only scratched the surface through academic research.

Dan Inosanto, has noted that Bruce was an awesome fighter, and great teacher, with a natural gift, but that his over-eagerness (or need) to prove that the Martial Arts are simple and not complex, sometimes overcame him, and he oversimplified other systems as well.

A secondary weakness, was that he was just a man, and, any fighter of equal caliber, could have beat Him under the proper conditions (or vice versa).

I couldn't agree more.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

In the first paragraph quoted above, you agree'd that he inspired martial artists.

Well, no... i said he inspired "some people to join the arts." Someone joining the arts is a far cry from someone who is a martial artist.

I could care less about the morality of his movies because it's only entertainment.

And is he 'only' an entertainer? You see, if you claim he is 'more' than an entertainer, than his movies end up communicating 'more' than entertainment. In this, the morality 'does' play a big part on all of this. The message presented by an idol is just as important as the means by which a message is presented. I.e., do what i say, don't do what i do... just isn't good enough.

I'm talking about good/great martial artists that were initially inspired to seek out the arts due to Bruce Lee's influence.

Well, it needs to be noted the first part, which is nobody is a good/great martial artist when they seek out the arts, they are wannabes. It is only through diligent practice and study under great tutelage that they become great artists.

Regardless, we're coming back to the thing i said earlier. I don't believe there are many people who were inspired to seek out the arts due to Bruce Lee, and which later became great martial artists. Dan Inosanto, for instance, was already an accomplished martial artist before he studied 'with' Bruce Lee, as were many others.

In short, the propagation of martial arts is a great thing.

I guess we're going to disagree. I think the 'evolution' of the arts is a great thing, not the propagation of it. I don't think it's good that 'more' people know how to fight. I think that's bad, especially when the 'more' don't happen to appreciate life, respect individuals, or show the moral qualities that should be core requirements to obtaining a BB.

Bruce Lee deserves and gets credit for aiding in the process of great things happening within the martial arts community.

In truth, Bruce Lee gets credit for many things he is not deserving of credit for. As to what he deserves credit for, it does become a problem ascertaining because of all the credit he is given burying whatever it is he truly deserves credit for.

But, if we wish to split hairs, i suppose we can give him credit for doing some martial arts onscreen and getting a lot of kiddies all excited about the stuff so they go home, tape a few sticks together, and crack their skulls open. :wink:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

What other martial artist can you name that's on the front of t-shirts that sell commercially at big name stores(not stores or sites dedicated to ma).Well I haven't seen any but Bruce.So that shows that he is still inspiring people today.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• 2 weeks later...
No one can be the best fighter, but he is the person that brought Kung Fu to the world. If not for Bruce Lee, Americans would still think boxing is the only way to fight.

A large percent still do, MMA tournaments are starting in my opinion to create an ignorance towards MA like kung-fu

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

No one can be the best fighter, but he is the person that brought Kung Fu to the world. If not for Bruce Lee, Americans would still think boxing is the only way to fight.

A large percent still do, MMA tournaments are starting in my opinion to create an ignorance towards MA like kung-fu

I know what you mean, they are doing nothing but boxing and heavy kicking.

I am not a very big guy being chinese, but I thought IF i am as big as them, and knowing what I can do with Kung Fu, I'd have an advantage in these fights.

But then again, if i learn Kung Fu, i wouldn't be entering a MMA tournament anyways.

What other martial artist can you name that's on the front of t-shirts that sell commercially at big name stores(not stores or sites dedicated to ma).Well I haven't seen any but Bruce.So that shows that he is still inspiring people today.

and that proves what?

what other dead martial art film maker can you name?

the only thing that you can garner from the amount of bruce lee merchandise is that there are clever marking men behind the bruce lee foundation and lots of people who worship bruce lee, neither thing having any relation to how good he was or not.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

or the impression that he made................it proves he was good and by being he was popular and clever business men made merchendise to make money all because he was skilled and left a legacy........

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn