• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

any shorter people here?

kheb3350

I'm only 5'6 and slim. About 62 kilos. Only on the 9th Kyu, so of course for kumite it's pretty basic 3 step sparring. But even now I feel like the lack of strength when going up against bigger and stronger opponents is a problem and will become more of an issue. Any advise from people in a similar height range to me - if there are any here? Should I be looking to do some weight training, or work hard on technique and speed - what did you do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Use your speed and quick/sharp lateral movements or circular movements to your advantage...also remember that when you block, do so enough to "receive" - uke(ru) with yoriashi; it is the deflecting of the block that is effective.

On your counter-attack, it is natural to punch/kick toward the groin area of your taller opponent --- you will make them think about attempting to over-run you...but you can not simply move straight back in blocking a technique, or you may in fact be run over...understand the concepts of Judo/Aikido to use your opponents momentum, weight and strength to your advantage.

Remain calm, relaxed (tension will kill you) *BREATHE* and confident - don't over strategize: Mushin.

Osu.

TS

Takeda Shingen - 武田信玄

I'm only 5'6 and slim. About 62 kilos. Only on the 9th Kyu, so of course for kumite it's pretty basic 3 step sparring. But even now I feel like the lack of strength when going up against bigger and stronger opponents is a problem and will become more of an issue. Any advise from people in a similar height range to me - if there are any here? Should I be looking to do some weight training, or work hard on technique and speed - what did you do?

i think you need to build up muscles to around 70kg, as mentioned before this will increase your speed too.

When fighting a taller opponent, you'll have to use angles in order to sneak into your fighting range. Being in close would be to the advantage to the shorter opponent (in most circumstances).

When a taller opponent punches or kicks, angle off to the side and move in closer to them. That's just one way of doing things. With more experience you'll find a way most comfortable for you to close the distance. Good luck!

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Hi how are you i hope your doing fine and all well height is not everything so if your short try to concentrate on speed and technique and concentration if you have this it is much better than someone tall that is slow and dont have good reaction try on speed as soon as your rival move take you point and try to be simple just use kyagyzooki and try not to go back alot when playing with taller people this weakenss you too much and your opponent will know you are affraid from him and he will attack attack attack and not give you a chance

Mohammed

Im 5'7 and skinny as well I weigh 142 lbs. to learn how to deal with bigger opponents its best if you just fight as much as you can and you will find your own way whether it be speed or angle fighting etc.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

Kheb,

I'm The same size as you. Only I am 20? kilos heavier (40 lbs). The difference is I am built like a tank. Big chest, arms and shoulders. I can hang in with most aof the bigger guys and not be grossly out muscled. I still have to have a lot better technique than the bigger guy or I will get pounded. Us vertically challenged people have less room for error and have to find out how to adapt what will work for us especially against a much larger, heavier opponent.

A little more muscle will help but we have to face facts. We can not go toe to toe with big strong guys in the over 6' range on a regular basis.

We have to have better technique. Be smarter and faster. Do not attack head on work the angles and go in and out. Retreat when needed but do not get steamrolled over. (Big guys have long legs and much larger strides.) I tend to fight in close and move in a circular manner, I can't say if the same would work for you.

It took a lot of time and quite a few good shots to the head to get me to where I am now. It's a learning process. It takes time. :)

Keep trying and don't be discouraged.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.