• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an expert but doesn't MMA generally have the record to beat, for want of a better phrase, on those occasions when there have been inter-style match-ups?

What record? Don’t use sport events as a guideline for effectiveness.

Traditional systems teach a martial art while MMA systems claim to teach "street fighting", ring fighting, a mix of traditional systems, or selective techniques from whatever the instructors have learn'd. It all depends on what you want out of training on what school you should choose.

On another note, I've trained in a traditional art and it is considered to be too "hard core" for most people. It takes a certain mentality to stay in it. Classes are normally small (I've maybe seen 10 people in class on the best day). We've had Army Rangers and other special ops alike come through and never stay (sometimes the kids stay but parents don't...go figure). The school has not changed its teachings to keep the doors open.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Traditional systems teach a martial art while MMA systems claim to teach "street fighting", ring fighting, a mix of traditional systems, or selective techniques from whatever the instructors have learn'd. It all depends on what you want out of training on what school you should choose.

I wasn't using sport events as a guideline for effectiveness, I was basing my statement on clips of fights I've seen between different Martial Art stylists, in these clips the MMA fighter tends to win as he/she has a greater depth of options.

Out of interest though, how would you diffientiate between instruction in street fighting and learning martial arts?

It's ALL martial art...

Traditional systems teach a martial art while MMA systems claim to teach "street fighting", ring fighting, a mix of traditional systems, or selective techniques from whatever the instructors have learn'd. It all depends on what you want out of training on what school you should choose..

"Claim?" MMA systems DO teach these types of fighting. The irony of your post is that if you probe deeply, you wrote it backwards. Mixed martial arts has evidence of its techniques actually working. The same can not be said of traditional arts.

On another note, I've trained in a traditional art and it is considered to be too "hard core" for most people. It takes a certain mentality to stay in it. Classes are normally small (I've maybe seen 10 people in class on the best day). We've had Army Rangers and other special ops alike come through and never stay (sometimes the kids stay but parents don't...go figure). The school has not changed its teachings to keep the doors open.

Perhaps they decided not to stay because:

1: the were called to duty

2: simply arent dedicated.

3: were not impressed with the style/system/classes

4: the classes were too difficult for them.

I wasn't using sport events as a guideline for effectiveness, I was basing my statement on clips of fights I've seen between different Martial Art stylists, in these clips the MMA fighter tends to win as he/she has a greater depth of options.

Out of interest though, how would you diffientiate between instruction in street fighting and learning martial arts?

well, even though I take MMA,I take self defense, I dont look to "fight" on the streets but rather hurt and attacker so I can get away safely. I am taught the art of my style which makes it into both practical methods and art.

MMA, teaching "street fighting"... well, most MMA anyway, just teach you how to fight while TMA teach you philosophy, discipline, and arts from which you take material to use in your fights.

at least thats how I see it. :karate:

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Traditional systems teach a martial art while MMA systems claim to teach "street fighting", ring fighting, a mix of traditional systems, or selective techniques from whatever the instructors have learn'd. It all depends on what you want out of training on what school you should choose..

"Claim?" MMA systems DO teach these types of fighting. The irony of your post is that if you probe deeply, you wrote it backwards. Mixed martial arts has evidence of its techniques actually working. The same can not be said of traditional arts.

Perhaps they decided not to stay because:

1: the were called to duty

2: simply arent dedicated.

3: were not impressed with the style/system/classes

4: the classes were too difficult for them.

I dont know about you, but I've seen MMA styles that are worth only for a ring- not even practical unless your opponent wants to stay fighting with you for a while to see who gets knocked down first... good fighters do arise, but its not because of the style, but because of how they train.

I think if he mentioned the rangers and military he meant that they couldnt take the classes. And for someone who is supposed to be accustomed to taking hard training, desertion is not what is expected of them.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty