• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin questions for those who know a lot.

Jbone1

I been on this site for a couple years and it's been very informative. I seen this movie the other day that looks like it was made in the 70's called Fighting Black Kings. It's about Kyokushin tournaments and fighters.

I studied the matches and noticed no punches or any hand/arm techniques to the face or head. But you sure can get kicked in the dome real good...wow some of those blows.. :o

Anyway, I would like to know the history all the way to the current about this system that seems to be very powerful and close to real situation bouts.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-02,GGLD:en&q=kyokushin+history - That should contain lots of websites with info on kyokushin and its founder, Mas Oyama.

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net - here you can find kata.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

What you've asked is sure to raise a few mixed answers.

When MasOyama Sosai was only 18 he killed another man with a single punch to the head.

Kyokushin fights bare-knuckle.

This probably plays a strong part in why we no longer compete with punches to the head.

Originally, (in the 1950-60's) MasOyama Sosai's fighting tournaments were no-holds-barred, with basically any strike, lock or throw allowed.

This changed rather rapidly, especially in the western world, due to the severity involved, and the lack of competitors. (Seeing a man who is undefeated in over 300 NHB fights, and can kill another with a single punch kinda threw people off a little bit I think.)

IMHO, it requires a LOT more skill to land a solid head kick than a head-punch.

The most solid answers to your questions will definantly come from MasOyama Sosai's books, such as ADVANCED KARATE, or his own Biography.

Osu.

BTW; Fighting Black Kings is definantly a cool video, if you interested in more Kyokushin tourni vids/DVD's, I reccomend the World Karate Tournament feat' Kancho Matsui. (He has AMAZING head kicks!)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

What you've asked is sure to raise a few mixed answers.

When MasOyama Sosai was only 18 he killed another man with a single punch to the head.

Kyokushin fights bare-knuckle.

This probably plays a strong part in why we no longer compete with punches to the head.

Originally, (in the 1950-60's) MasOyama Sosai's fighting tournaments were no-holds-barred, with basically any strike, lock or throw allowed.

This changed rather rapidly, especially in the western world, due to the severity involved, and the lack of competitors. (Seeing a man who is undefeated in over 300 NHB fights, and can kill another with a single punch kinda threw people off a little bit I think.)

IMHO, it requires a LOT more skill to land a solid head kick than a head-punch.

The most solid answers to your questions will definantly come from MasOyama Sosai's books, such as ADVANCED KARATE, or his own Biography.

Osu.

BTW; Fighting Black Kings is definantly a cool video, if you interested in more Kyokushin tourni vids/DVD's, I reccomend the World Karate Tournament feat' Kancho Matsui. (He has AMAZING head kicks!)

Very interesting post and thank you. Could you tell me if the Mas. Oyama biography that you referred to is an autobiography? And if so can you tell me what it is called and where I can buy it.

Thanks in advance.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

The biography of MasOyama Sosai is NOT an autobiography, but was compiled after his death.

Its title is "Oyama-The Legend, the Legacy."

and can be found at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-5124217-4741430

Osu.

ooppssss....

link didnt work,

just go to amazon and search for "oyama-legacy"

Osu.

The biography of MasOyama Sosai is NOT an autobiography, but was compiled after his death.

Its title is "Oyama-The Legend, the Legacy."

and can be found at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-5124217-4741430

Osu.

Thanks for your reply, but I have the "oyama - the legend.....". I did however come across rumors of an autobiography. These rumors may have been related to references made by Oyama to his own life and experiences in some of his other books.

Thanks again.

Osu

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

yamesu: Thanks for the info, very ineresting.

Those guys are so conditioned they take punches, kicks, and throws are devestating.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Hehehe,

I told you that my response would cause a bit of a ruckus.

As much as the above posts are.......(suffice to say at the least,)

.........interesting,

It seems that more and more people are willing to bag on Kyokushin without wholeheartedly doing the research/training.

My advice to the original poster of this thread,

stick with the original texts.

An autobiography would be quite amazing, but ive never seen one, in Oz or Jap.

The most ive read about OyamaSosai's life prob' comes from the series of books, "What is Karate?" "This is Karate" and "Advanced Karate."

Absolutely priceless books if you can get your hands on them.

I dont know who John Blooming is,

but I do know Shihans and Senseis whom trained with OyamaSosai in the 60's and 70's, (much more respectable/wise persons than internet-peeps, and those that would write internet-articles,) who will all vouch for MasOyamaSosai's prowess, his feats, and his awsome strength.

To other (more nieve) members of this site, please try not to reference articles off the internet, most of it is utter *.

Thats why Universities wont allow references for scientific journals, etc to be from the internet.

Anyone can write anything.

Does not make it a bar of truth.

OSU.