• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan karate another belt question

JKDkid2

My sensei was talking about how if you came from another shotokan school and if you had your certificate for a certain belt level the one you were at that you could train from that level. I was once a blue belt in shotokan and now that i'm back im a white belt should i show him the certificate and start at blue belt or should i stick with my white belt since its been 6 years since i first started karate?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you had a 6 year "gap," (between training at each dojo) white belt is a good choice. But if you had a month gap, they might let you slide. But I was a blue belt in TSD (5th gup/kyu) and I went to TKD as a white belt (I only had a month gap between both arts after moving). I had a problem with it at first, but the styles are so different (in many ways, but not all), I realized that it was the right choice.

If you move to one dojo to the next, they can be like night and day. No one dojo is the same as the next, even if they are the same style. I'd say, go with the white belt ;) Start from scratch, and learn the techniques right instead of "rushing" to get to your previous rank. I have an article on this in the article section called "Starting Over." Read that ;)

I'm proudly a white belt again in Jujitsu. It doesn't bother me one bit (eventhough my rank still stands in TKD).

Laurie F

My sensei was talking about how if you came from another shotokan school and if you had your certificate for a certain belt level the one you were at that you could train from that level. I was once a blue belt in shotokan and now that i'm back im a white belt should i show him the certificate and start at blue belt or should i stick with my white belt since its been 6 years since i first started karate?

It is not your decision, but your Sensei's. You can show him your certificate as blue belt in shotokan and probably he will assess your demonstrable skills, test you against the standards of his school for their blue belt rank, and if you pass, you can wear the blue belt in his school. If you don't meet the standards, you will have to start from whitebelt again as is the usual practice when learning closely related karate style and most especially a new and different one.

well my friend first are you a Kata or Kumite player and if you can remember your datsee and kata and all that i think theres no problem but if your a kumite player its no problem as well its just that you will feel rusty in the start and time by time you will earn what you had and hopefully more

Mohammed

I don't think rank means much at all.

I was once a blue belt in shotokan

I bet he can tell if you've got previous experience or not. If you think white belt is too low for you, you can maybe just do a grading for blue belt again?

Just remember it's not about the belts, once you're a black belt, or even brown belt, you're up against people that have been training for a decade or more.

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

I was in a similar situaton. I had a 4 year break from Shotokan between two different schools. I turned up in a white belt and the sensei said that I should wear my brown belt.

I think it's puely a matter of how you feel. If you're confident you can do sufficiently well with your old belt, wear it. It also shows a certain amount of commitment and willingness to do well... IMO. If you are not good enough to bring back your old belt, your sensei shold tell you straight up.

Your question falls under the "Why are you asking us instead of your instructor?" heading. Ask him, not us. We cannot tell you what he will do. He can.

I changed club at brown belt level ,my instructer accepted my level and I was allowed to train .But I noticed that my quality was much less than other brown belts .infact I could only compare my level to a green belt in the new club !

therefore I spent the next 5 years doing the basic class first and then the brown-black belt class ,a long and very hard training eventually paid off as my fundemental techniques imroved once I learned to ignore what I had previously learned and learn the correct way .

After 5 long years of double class I managed to get shodan.

what I am trying to say here is if the instructer in your new club is good and the club is quality then forget about what grade and belt you already have and put your fate in the new instructer .

Had the club and the instructer I joined as a brown belt belong to any other style of karate ,I would have still joined them ! as it was the quality that was evident from day 1 that hooked me to the new club not the style ! :)

never give up !