• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kodokan judo , simply because they don't tend to keep the fight on the ground

They would if you let them. The reason you don't see a lot of groundwork is because of the rules. The ref will stand you back up after about 10 seconds on the ground if no visible progress toward a pin or submission is being made.

I would go for judo because it has standup game and ground game.

actually, bjj does as well. At my school and most others, in addition to bjj, you are also cross training judo and submission wrestling. BJJ today utilizes a lot of wrestling takedowns, many of which are easier to pull off for most people than judo throws are (I am a 3rd brown in judo and I still think this is true). Judo at most schools focuses mainly on standup, although there are some clubs that do a lot of groundwork. IME though, you actually get a more well rounded curriculum from bjj.

True they are being mixed because people are realizing the importance of being effective. BJJ has always adopted what worked and disregared or revamped what didn't. I'm sure other styles at some point in time have. :evil:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

True they are being mixed because people are realizing the importance of being effective. BJJ has always adopted what worked and disregared or revamped what didn't. I'm sure other styles at some point in time have. :evil:

To be fair, bjj has adopted what worked in the ring and disregarded or revamped what didn't work, or couldn't be applied, in the ring.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

bjj has turned too much into a sport martial art,that's one aspect that I dislike about it.

Well, on that run, it was derived from a sport-oriented martial art.... judo, and adopted techniques from two other sport-oriented martial studies.... sambo and European wrestling, so it really didn't 'turn' into a sport-oriented martial art. It always was one.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Kano was a JuJitsu master and took throws and some ground work to create judo for sport not the other way around. The Gracies tested Jiu Jitsu in the streets of Brasil and against other styles in Brasil. Are we repeating what we've heard or are we researching this stuff for ourselves.

To find the truth we must crossreference. The truth is consistant and never changes.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!