• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try the class out, at least for a month. its been one of the ebst experiences i have gone through and am going through.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

I can throw a few thoughts into the process.

#1- realize that once you start learning a grappling art, you are once again a pure beginner (blackbelts in Kempo, Karate, TKD, etc mean absolutely nothing- grappling is not striking).

I only say this one because its often that I hear people coming in to check out the BJJ class and brag about how they arent a real beginner, or that they should start with honorary rank due to being a black belt in another style (i.e. an Aikido guy who thought he should start off as purple belt).

2. its going to take much longer to get your black belt in BJJ than it did in whatever you're training in. Short of Capeiora, BJJ is probably the single longest time between a white belt and a black belt. 15 is a great age to start BJJ, because it'll take about 10-15 years for you to get a Black belt in that. Basically this means that if it took you 2-3 years to get a black belt in your current style, and after 2-3 years in BJJ you're still a white belt, dont be discouraged.

3. Be sure to double check whatever school it is you decide to train at. There is quite a difference between Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and regular Ju Jitsu.

School: Arizona Combat Sports,

Instructors Gustavo Dantes and trevor lally,

Lally teaches the MMA and kick boxing.

Dantes, teaches the BJJ classes. He is a legit BJJ Black belt. School is decent and they have lot of good guys to roll with there.

Here is a couple websites the school website.

https://www.azcombatsports.com

also Gustavo Dantes website https://www.gdjiujitsu.com

here is the gyms direcdtions and phone 1753 E. Broadway

Tempe, AZ 85282

S.W. Corner of McClintock and Broadway

right behind the DVD Depot

TEL: (480) 517-1960

number.

They offer classes in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Pankratation, and muay thai kick boxing.

They offer a free introductory class for each program.

So check it out.

I haven't trained there but I rolled with Gustavo's students before or competed against them. They are GOOD! As well as I seen him teach and he is a very good teacher. SO here is one place you can check out there are few other schools around the valley as well.