• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts or martial arts?

Sometimes I see Martial Arts capitalized and sometimes I see it in all lowercase. I used to argue with my English teachers in High School over this. Does anyone know the correct answer? Should the word Martial Arts be capitalized or not? Also, the same question for the specific arts – Karate or karate, etc.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Technically, martial arts should be in lower case. While there is no rule defining how you would write the name of a specific style (unless it is trademarked, or is named for a person or place, in which case it would have to be capitalized), it seems to be gernerally accepted that these should be capitalized, mostly for respect of your or other's styles.

Sometimes I see Martial Arts capitalized and sometimes I see it in all lowercase. I used to argue with my English teachers in High School over this. Does anyone know the correct answer? Should the word Martial Arts be capitalized or not? Also, the same question for the specific arts – Karate or karate, etc.

Thanks.

If "martial arts" is used as a generic term, then it is in the lower case and not capitalized. If it is used as a proper name, like part of a karate school's or organization's name. for example, "LGM Martial Arts", then it is capitalized.

However, the pre-eminent rule is: if it is the first word in a sentence, whether used as a generic term or proper noun, it is always capitalized, otherwise the rule stated above holds.

I usually capitalize, but not always. Perhaps due to the fact that in some sense we are all practicing the way of Martial Arts. just as one would capitalize Wushu, or Budo. The the paths are different, many of us will end up in the same location.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I ditto on that too...lol

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...