blackbelt22

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are scalloped pavers? I thought breaking was about proper technique and focus, and not neccesarily to break as much stuff as possible. I have broken cinder blocks before, and it is cool, and it feels great to be successful at it, but I never thought that it helped me in my training too much. I'd rather break 1 board with a technique I'm trying to develop perfect accuracy and form with, than all the bricks in the world just to see if i could do it. Breaking to me is a test of form, accuracy and technique while at the same time using full power contact. It is very tough (IMHO) to be accurate, and powerful at the same time, and this is the use I always saw for breaking. For brick breaking, I have only seen people do it with downward palm-heel strikes, and if someone is laying down infront of me, I don't think it takes much accuracy to be able to hit him hard.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Breaking is good to a degree. It is an accomplishment, but only reflects one part of the complete martial artist.

However, physical age is a huge variable in determining what should be taught and when. Not all of the growth plates throughout the body mature at the same time, leaving many vulnerable areas up through the end of adolescence.

Just be aware of physical changes and limitations. But never limit your mind.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I thought breaking was about proper technique and focus, and not neccesarily to break as much stuff as possible. I have broken cinder blocks before, and it is cool, and it feels great to be successful at it, but I never thought that it helped me in my training too much. I'd rather break 1 board with a technique I'm trying to develop perfect accuracy and form with, than all the bricks in the world just to see if i could do it. Breaking to me is a test of form, accuracy and technique while at the same time using full power contact. It is very tough (IMHO) to be accurate, and powerful at the same time, and this is the use I always saw for breaking. For brick breaking, I have only seen people do it with downward palm-heel strikes, and if someone is laying down infront of me, I don't think it takes much accuracy to be able to hit him hard.

For one thing, I agree with you - breaking is about proper technique and focus. Breaking more than one thing at a time simply tests your power along with the technique and focus. But make no mistake, you have to have more focus to break three boards than just one, or a cinder block vs one board. In fact, I'd venture to say most people, even a kid, could break one board with their fist and use terrible form.

For brick breaking, if you work your knuckles enough, you can break it with a downward punch in addition to a palm heel strike. And as for someone laying in front of you - yeah, you probably won't be punching a body at that particular angle, but it might be a head right in front of you that you want to hit as hard as you can withought breaking your pinky or your knuckles, depending on how you want to hit him! And no, accuracy won't give you power, but it's a great assistance to it.

But ultimately, while I understand the theory behind breaking boards and cinder blocks and don't see anything wrong with it in the proper context, as Shogeri said, it's only one part of training. Too much focus on any one thing becomes an obsession and doesn't really help you become a well-rounded martial artist.

Angus, I totaly agree with everything you've said (except I don't see myself ever smashing someone's head with a downward palm heel.) I was just trying to make the point that if you go into something like breaking with an attitude like: 'the more I break, the better martial artist I'll be' you're limiting your training to focus on that one thing (as you alluded to at the end of your post.) Breaking is a lot of fun, one of my favorite parts of martial arts training actually, and a very effective tool to teach focus, accuracy and power, but as you said, we need to be well rounded in our training, and I've seen students get fixated on one aspect of their training or another, and totally neglect a full training regimen that could make them excellent martial artists. Instead they become just excellent at breaking, or just excellent at sparring, or at a certain weapon, or etc. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's always good to excel, but I just don't like to see potential wasted, especially if I could see them become excellent, well rounded martial artists.

I don't see myself ever smashing someone's head with a downward palm heel

LOL! Yeah, I don't guess I do either!

But yeah, I'd have to say that balance is the key to everything (is that oversimplifying?) MOST things probably have some kind of relevance to them, but sometimes people get fixated on the aesthetics rather than the original intention.

In breaking I'd say that's what spacers are all about. It gives the impression to someone who doesn't know any better that you can really break 15 boards, or whatever. Karate is still a business and people are always going to do different things to get people excited about karate. It's hard for me to fault them for that! I just don't understand why a person would want to work out that way when they're not on public display...

sometimes people get fixated on the aesthetics rather than the original intention.

Exactly.

Karate is still a business and people are always going to do different things to get people excited about karate. It's hard for me to fault them for that!

I have a degree in marketing so I can't fault them, nor blame them, and it's true that breaking is a great way to get people excited about martial arts. I always like to promote their then being substance behind all that show. What journey did that person go on to get to the point that they're able to look at a cinder block, (or multiple cinder blocks) and break it/them without fear. Im interested in that journey, and whether I can take a similar journey.

Breaking is the hook, from an advertising standpoint, but any school will be nothing but a fad if they can't deliver the product (i.e. quality martial arts instruction) after hooking the customer. It's unfortunate that you can still survive as a business and make a lot of money, even with a fad product, as long as there are enough 'fish' to hook. This is one of the problems we are beginning to see in the 'industry' (I know, it sounds horrid) of modern martial arts.