blackbelt22

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to be a killjoy or party pooper here, but at 15 years of age, you're still growing and your bones are still forming. Breaking one board is one thing, but what you're talking about can cause :o PERMANENT :o damage to your bones or joints. Are your parents aware of what you're doing?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Not wanting to be a killjoy or party pooper here, but at 15 years of age, you're still growing and your bones are still forming. Breaking one board is one thing, but what you're talking about can cause :o PERMANENT :o damage to your bones or joints. Are your parents aware of what you're doing?

+1 :karate:

A blackbelt is not the beginning,it's a piece of cloth,that's all.

Shorinryu Sensei hit the mark IMO.

I woulnt even start teaching breaking to a student until they were at least 16 years old.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I have to half-agree/half-disagree with Shorinryu Sensei. It depends.

A downward chop break doesn't "work" your hands the way a straight punch does. A chop break is 100% form. This kind of breaking is perfectly safe for a teenager or even younger. Of course if you do the form wrong, you can break your hand. But karate is not exactly basketweaving. Bones break, bruises happen, etc.

For a straight punch, however, you really ought to work your knuckles first. Form is still involved, but as I said - you should work on your hand a little first. And it's working the knuckles that can do irreparable damage to a growing hand. Those kinds of breaks should not be tried until the bones in your hand stop growing.

So in my opinion, it depends on the break.