• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dont like it when people say "tricks are usless"

TeaL

I find that Kenpo is really good with practical application, with a bit of showiness mixed in. After all, if you can nail a spinning hook or crescent kick perfectly (or with a jump = even better), there's no reason not to use it. It's impressive when done right, and if you're good at it it's no different than any other kick.

Looking to impress someone in fight usually precludes you get'n beat half to death...or worse. Save flash for demo's when you're trying to recruit. If your school is teaching flash as a self defense technique, I feel sorry for you.

Did you even read my post? I said IF YOU CAN NAIL IT PERFECTLY, as in, if you can do a showy move as well as a regular one there is absolutely no reason to not use it. So if I can do a jump spin crescent kick as well as I can do a front kick(and I know people who can) and I still get beaten to death, I would have no matter what move I used.

That being said, if you haven't gotten showy moves nailed, don't do them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Did you even read my post? I said IF YOU CAN NAIL IT PERFECTLY, as in, if you can do a showy move as well as a regular one there is absolutely no reason to not use it. So if I can do a jump spin crescent kick as well as I can do a front kick(and I know people who can) and I still get beaten to death, I would have no matter what move I used.

That being said, if you haven't gotten showy moves nailed, don't do them.

Well I read your post. Twice actually and here's what I think. Fighting arts are about efficiency. Flash, by definition, is inefficient. If you can nail a spinning crescent kick perfectly then good for you but that's a huge and unnecessary "if". And any way you go it's a bigger "if" then a low front, or any other maneuver that doesn't involve going into the air or turning your back on your opponent. In my opinion, and most people who have any real fighting experience tend to agree, the less risk the better. Why waste your time perfecting something that might work but looks good when there are 15 other things you could be practicing that are designed to work better because their single purpose in design is pure and simple effectiveness? Think about it, fighting efficiency leaves no room for flash. And if you aren't practicing for efficiency then by definition you are wasting your time.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• 4 weeks later...

Although it is a great theory. Think about it, you do a trink and your in the air and the guy rushes at you, he gets to you and hits you the second your feet touch the ground. Your screwed if you get hit in the right spot. So my overall judgement, tricks, good for competion, back for fighting.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/