• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dont like it when people say "tricks are usless"

TeaL

This is only true in one sense. Strickly middle of battle fighting.

Yes, blieve it or not, intimidation. This can play a huge factor, if your opponant sees that you have mastered even purly visual aspects of your weapon it may cause some fear in thier abilities.

Secondly as a distraction, moving in with one hand, want them to look at the other? give it a spin.. let the light reflect off and catch there eye, just long enough to land the other hand.

I agree, these shouldnt be tought to "newbies" however, they could be semi-useful overall.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The sort of things that you are describing would only fool or intimidate a novice, or someone that has no working knowledge of proper technique with weapons. Sadly, there are entire martial arts systems out there that do the same thing.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

What Shorin-ryu sensei says is fundamentally correct. Anyone who really knows fighting will not be phased by visual tricks used as intimidations. In fact most people with real world fighting experience dream of the day that someone who thinks they know "karaty" decides to try the stuff they see on tv in a fight. Because they know it doesn't work, they've been there. Maybe they've tried it and seen it fail or maybe having been in 20 fights they just understand the basics of what works and what doesn't. Either way any experienced fighter who sees someone do a "trick" knows that's his moment of opportunity to wail on you. It's like sending up a big red flag to them asking to be hit. And they won't hesitate, not for a second.

Now yea, it might back up a guy with little or no experience or who has watched too much TV but why train for the lowest common denominator? Why spend hours and hours working on flash that will only work on the least capable opponents? Why not optimize your training for the worst case scenario. That way if anything less occurs you'll be pleasantly surprised, and prepared either way.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Now yea, it might back up a guy with little or no experience or who has watched too much TV but why train for the lowest common denominator? Why spend hours and hours working on flash that will only work on the least capable opponents? Why not optimize your training for the worst case scenario. That way if anything less occurs you'll be pleasantly surprised, and prepared either way.

Wise words Grasshoppa. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I agree with the above. I have been taught (mainly by these guys) that flash is no good on the street. If you wanna workout to it, go for it. Show off for your friends, go for it. Use it in a life threatening situation...... :idea: NO!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

I have a friend who's grown up in some bad circumstances and he, until recently, was into all kinds of trouble all the time. Fortunately, he's now better, though he still lives downtown, he's studying and getting really good grades and all that. Anyway, he's been in his share of street fights, and I can always get a pretty good gauge from him on what he thinks works and what doesn't. It's good to have the perspective.

I find that Kenpo is really good with practical application, with a bit of showiness mixed in. After all, if you can nail a spinning hook or crescent kick perfectly (or with a jump = even better), there's no reason not to use it. It's impressive when done right, and if you're good at it it's no different than any other kick.

with goju ryu and shorin ryu(others may find it different) ive found that its strait to the point with out the flashyness, and its worked the one or two times that ive ever needed it.

nidan, goes to rising sun dojo in newport

Even in competitions, for example in a fencing tournament, one can only use ''tricks'' to a less experienced player. Especially in Epee, your opponent would only counter every move you make...

The stronger swordsman does not always win.

I find that Kenpo is really good with practical application, with a bit of showiness mixed in. After all, if you can nail a spinning hook or crescent kick perfectly (or with a jump = even better), there's no reason not to use it. It's impressive when done right, and if you're good at it it's no different than any other kick.

Looking to impress someone in fight usually precludes you get'n beat half to death...or worse. Save flash for demo's when you're trying to recruit. If your school is teaching flash as a self defense technique, I feel sorry for you.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.