• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having the toes point forward makes the stance stronger. It should NOT cause injury. The way I do the low horse is with the thighs parallel to the ground, knees over the feet, back straight, and toes pointed forward. This structure ensures that the knee can support a lot of weight. In fact, someone should be able to stand on it without hurting you. This happens because of body structure, not strength.

Good point. That is how I practise the horse stance as well - which is both for external and internal training. So far I have not seen anyone injured, if anything this training, if done CORRECTLY or at least under the supervision of a REAL kung fu or karate instructor, strengthens the knees.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E&k is correct. I just spent 3 hours with my physical therapist discussing the 'problems' associated with martial arts and knee injuries. Specifically, my knees. :(

He's an ex-wrestler at the collegiate level, so his insight is not without merit. Most knee related problems are birthed from improper posture and use of the hips. Incorrect hip placement, a favoring of one side or the other, posing the knees to take the brunt of lateral movement, extended poses in which the tendons are inordinately stretched or kept taut for an extended period of time... these are what cause miniscal damage, acl problems, and other knee-related ailments.

A horse with the knees pointing at an angle, but the feet pointing straight ahead tags just about every red flag i presented above. Consider this. Also consider what was known when these stances were created, as opposed to what is known now. They didn't have the technology, the experience, or the test subjects we have now.

As well, life spans were much shorter... and thus mistakes in practice less crucial. We live far longer lives now, so focusing on not destroying our bodies early on will virtually ensure we enjoy a happy retirement.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

extra stress on the knee does not strengthen it... if we were talking muscles, maybe, but we are discussing something else. stress on ligaments and tendons hurts them. you may not necessarily feel it, but that doesn't mean you aren't over-stressing it.

As I said before, I have not seen anyone injured from correct horsestance trainning. None of my kung fu brothers nor my sifu nor his grand master (who is in his mid 70's), who train the horse stance have had any problems with their knees.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

E&k is correct. I just spent 3 hours with my physical therapist discussing the 'problems' associated with martial arts and knee injuries. Specifically, my knees. :(

He's an ex-wrestler at the collegiate level, so his insight is not without merit. Most knee related problems are birthed from improper posture and use of the hips. Incorrect hip placement, a favoring of one side or the other, posing the knees to take the brunt of lateral movement, extended poses in which the tendons are inordinately stretched or kept taut for an extended period of time... these are what cause miniscal damage, acl problems, and other knee-related ailments.

My sifu is my physical therapist. :D

As well, life spans were much shorter... and thus mistakes in practice less crucial. We live far longer lives now, so focusing on not destroying our bodies early on will virtually ensure we enjoy a happy retirement.

I believe that the research and development that is kung fu would have picked up on the "harmful" effects of the horsestance trainning in the past couple of thousands of years.

In the relatively recent history of its development in Shaolin and Wudang, kung fu's fighting techniques as well as its health benefits have been researched and improved whenever possible, ie.no guessing or wishfull thinking. Most genuine kung fu practise has health benefits for its practitoners incorporated within the curriculum.

• 2 weeks later...
extra stress on the knee does not strengthen it... if we were talking muscles, maybe, but we are discussing something else. stress on ligaments and tendons hurts them. you may not necessarily feel it, but that doesn't mean you aren't over-stressing it.

I believe our body is designed to carry our own weight. So i don't think we'd have any problem sitting on a horse, UNLESS we carry another person on our back or heavy lifting.

Our knees should be strong enough to carry our own weight. If not, just walking around would injure our knees.

So i don't think we'd have any problem sitting on a horse, UNLESS we carry another person on our back or heavy lifting.

Aye, but what about the horse?!? Nobody gives five seconds of consideration for the poor horse. I mean, it's bad enough he has to eat hay all his life. :brow:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro