• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the old days....sensei would have us assume the stance with another student on our shoulders. I can't remember the longest I held it but it was definitely an experience!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

In goju ryu, we used to walk around with people standing on our legs while in the stance.

In my style that has grown out of what I have done in the past, I now use the stance as a transitional stepping technique rather than stand-and-deliver technique.

In order to build endurance, 20 to 30 minutes is a good time to shoot for.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

In goju ryu, it was practiced as stand and deliver. That is you moved into the stance, rooted, and with a twist of the waist put out a reverse punch. One could use it as transitional with say a stepping power sidekick or a skipping sidekick. You could also be rooted, and use it with various jujutsu locking methods, or the Farmer's Carry. In sum, it had many applications, but in general one was planted. More often than not, Karate is about planting your feet. They hardly told me to hit, defend, and parry while in motion. Even most of the senior black belts were all focused on hard strikes, blocks, and stances. However, we were to be relaxed while in motion.

In shikodachi, could walk with people either parallel, or with a slight angle of about 30 degrees. No I didn't walk for 20 or 30 minutes. If I remained in the stance for that long, many times I would adjust how much I sat into it.

It is different for many other's, as results vary depending how it is used, and by whom, their body structure, flexibility, etc.

my thoughts...

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

At my school, after belt tests Sensai will go outside for 20 minutes or so while all the students hold a horse stance and wait for him to come back. Sometimes we have to do jungle stance instead- think going down on one knee, but then keeping that knee one inch off the ground while making a 90 degree angle.That hurts.

ouch...that doesn't happen at my age.