• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how to improve kumite rapidly

KarateKid7

HI well what you need to do is realy train and do more Kumite kata has nothing to do with Kumite really a Kata player needs different excersice from a Kumite player and most of all try to have the fast reaction and on the mean while just focus on your kyagyzuki as soon as your rival moves take a point or block and take your point or break to your left or right and take your point then think of the combos for now do the normal attacks kyagy,kizamy mawashi etc etc and do more Kumite with people who are better than you and i promise you if you stay like this in 3 or 4 months you will feels the difference

Mohammed

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI well what you need to do is realy train and do more Kumite kata has nothing to do with Kumite really a Kata player needs different excersice from a Kumite player and most of all try to have the fast reaction and on the mean while just focus on your kyagyzuki as soon as your rival moves take a point or block and take your point or break to your left or right and take your point then think of the combos for now do the normal attacks kyagy,kizamy mawashi etc etc and do more Kumite with people who are better than you and i promise you if you stay like this in 3 or 4 months you will feels the difference

Mohammed

Here is some advice on doing better at sparring. Keep a good and strong guard, I mean keep it out there away from your body so you have plenty of time to react to the opponant's attacks. Obviously one hand guardings more upper body and the other guarding more lower body.

I also advise you to relax. Sounds simple doesn't it? It's not! Take your mind away from the pressures and preconceptions of Kumite so that you can gain control and focus. I'm not saying don't think about sparring but don't let your mind convince you that you are weak if you lose. Sometimes defeat is the clearest path to progression.

Don't necessarily go in all guns blazing with attacks. Stay back in order to make the right decision. Wait for the attack and then try to instinctively block and counter. Don't think about a pattern of moves that you've already worked out. Stay in the moment here and now (when you spar) and take it as it comes.

Be nimble. Keep your weight slightly on the balls of your feet and keep moving but in a controlled manner.

A ridiculously obvious one here but....practice. Just keep sparring and you will get much better. Don't be put off Kumite by your recent problems. If anything, use it as your passion to succeed. Bounce back twice as hard! And just remember that there is no such thing as I Can't Do It! I hope what I have said will help you in some way and I wish you the very best of luck friend!

The past got us here and leaving it alone was the only way I could be sure we'd never have to live through this nightmare again.

Thank you all so much. MJC the great - thanks for the reassurance coz its really what i needed. Its about a frame of mind isnt it - kumite. I reli wish i cud find the link between kumite and kata. recentli iv been doing more bunkai of kata which is good i suppose. il train hard and wait and see :) thanks folk!

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"