• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how to improve kumite rapidly

KarateKid7

I believe the big chicken has his own personal method on this subject.

It worked for me. Maybe Rob would be kind enough to share with you guys. He used to have an article about sparring on the old version of 24FC.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn to apply your kata to your sparring. I know a lot of people that are going to laugh at that and that's fine. I'm not suggesting that he get in there and start low blocking and lunge punching. There's a connection that can be found and does exist between good kata and good kumite. Look for it and if you find it they won't be able to touch you. If you can't find it I would suggest re-evaluating your kata.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

thanks guys. all ur advice is much appreciated. i think different mindset would help me. also the drills and geetting into it again with more practice. lol i like the joke about sacrificing kumite for inner calmness. i thought it would help my kumite. Maybe too much neglect is bad. wasnt wise of me. i need my confidence back up too as i am getting hammered by students i used to make meals out of. its point fighting mind you. not knockdown but ye as long as i improve my stamina and zanshin, things should hopefully look brighter. many thanks :)

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"

Work on your blocking. You have to trust your blocking. It's an attitude, don't be the proverbial deer in the headlights.

Distance, timing, it's all important. Stick to basics and don't do anything fancy. I try not to throw anything I know I will probably not hit you with.

When attacking you need to commit. No half hearted attacks or swatting in the air in the general vicinity of your opponent. If hes in range attack don't wait for him to be all over you. If you can't reach him don't attack without getting in range first.

And most of all what I am still guilty of ....Don't think too much!!! :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Learn to apply your kata to your sparring. I know a lot of people that are going to laugh at that and that's fine. I'm not suggesting that he get in there and start low blocking and lunge punching. There's a connection that can be found and does exist between good kata and good kumite. Look for it and if you find it they won't be able to touch you. If you can't find it I would suggest re-evaluating your kata.

I'm not laughing, more like shaking my head and going ,"tsk, tsk." Since the op was looking for a "quick" way to kumite effectiveness, would you mind pointing out the kata technique that makes one untouchable?

I'm not knocking kata. For this particular application it's kinda like the parsely that garnishes the meat and potatoes.

I'm not laughing, more like shaking my head and going ,"tsk, tsk." Since the op was looking for a "quick" way to kumite effectiveness, would you mind pointing out the kata technique that makes one untouchable?

I'm not knocking kata. For this particular application it's kinda like the parsely that garnishes the meat and potatoes.

Sure it's called "taisabaki" and it's everywhere in kata.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

one way you can improve your stamina with kata:

do every kata you know in a row with transition moves from one to another.

do every technique whole-heartedly: strike as if you were trying to kill with one strike, block as if you feared for your life. Do every move with all your energy.

I know about 8 katas, and I easily have to slow down around the 5th kata. Its a very good cardio workout.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

Sure it's called "taisabaki" and it's everywhere in kata.

Excellent! But why be so cryptic about it? Still, wouldn't it be better to practice taisabaki with a non-compliant opponent instead of an imaginary one?