• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how to improve kumite rapidly

KarateKid7

iv jus gotten back into kumite...essentially the application....iv been focussing mainly on the spiritual and kata side of karate but then when i jumped back into serious kumite training after a yr or too, i feel so rubbish! i lack stamina which means after some intensiv drills, i cant even keep my guard up resulting in me getting smacked in the face. opponents i used to make meals out of have improved so much (sure my kata is better than theirs). I lack mainly flexibility speed and focus. My combos and counters are pathetic. Every one is hammering down on me and i feel inferior...please help! Any advice for the course(s) of action i should take would be greatly appreciated.

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing beats getting out into the mix of it all.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

So, what did your little excursion to the spiritual and kata side of karate get you, a couple smacks in the face in exchange for inner calm? Just kidding. But seriously, get your cardio back up. Some of the exercises previously recommended are a good start. I've also found interval training helpful, especially if you're going to be fighting opponents one after the other. Also, nothing improves your fighting skills better than lots of fighting. Get in there and keep your guard up. Good luck.

If you're having that big a problem, I'd say go back to the basics. Concentrate on simple combinations, block/counter moves and getting your rhythm back. Jumping rope and doing two minute drills on the bag will help that.

But as everyone else has pretty much said - just getting in there and doing it will help you quite a bit. Just don't get frustrated with yourself.