• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hajime Kazumi?

Superfoot

Can anyone tell me about a Karateka called Hajime Kazumi? His name pops up all over the place regarding famous Kyokushin Karateka, but I can't find out what makes him so popular. I know he has done the Hyakunin Kumite and has a "Special Training" DVD out, but other than that, I don't know anything about him. What makes him so special? Literally, his face is not only plastered across many websites, but some forums members even have his portrait as their avatar. Is he a high-profile celebrity too?

Thanx.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

He is considered a vanguard of kyokushinkai. Essentially someone who has demonstrated what the art 'can' do.

2nd place in the '99 7th World Open Tournament

2nd place in the '95 6th World Open Tournament

Champion in the 98' 30th All Japan Championships

Champion in the 97' 29th All Japan Championships

Champion in the 96' 28th All Japan Championships

2nd place in the 94' 26th All Japan Championships

Champion in the 93' 25th All Japan Championships

He is also only one of a handful of men who have completed the 100 man kumite. His results are impressive. Note that it is a requirement to 'win' at least 50% of your bouts with the 100 man kumite:

Time per Kumite 1 minute 30 seconds

Time Started 11:38

Time Finished 15:42

Total Fighting Time 3 hours 20 minutes 40 seconds

Total Spending Time 4 hours 4 minutes

Results 58 wins, 42 draws, no losses

Ippons: 16 (Ippon: 2, Awase-Ippon: 14)

Wins by decision: 42 (Waza-ari: 15)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Kazumi is one of the most technically gifted lowkickers in the business. He has an impressive resume and a long string of victories, but he never knocks anyone out.

After his 100 man kumite, he was in the hospital for a month because his style requires close engagement with the opponent.

He left Kyokushinkaikan a few years ago to start his own dojo.

http://www.kazumi-dojo.com

Kyokushin Karate of Los Angeles @ http://www.kyokushinla.com

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is thinking about yourself less."

Ah, see this is what I was pushing for. Assuming that all offshoots have their own approach to combat, does Shihan Kazumi's dojo emphasise low-kicking? I read he likes to use a simple strategy of punches and lowkicks, but I guess he's up their which Shihan Royama in the category for most poweful Gedan Mawashi Geri. In some highlights, it seems like, rather than blasting his opponent, he times his lowkicks to knock the opponent off balance (e.g. hitting inside thigh when opponent tries to throw kick).

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you the same "Feels" who posts on Sherdog? Because you had Shihan Kazumi's portrait as your avatar, so I'm assuming you know a lot about him. In fact that's what started me thinking, because his face literally was everywhere. Please know that I'm not implying or trying to say your a "hugger", just curious as to why Hajime Kazumi is so successful. Is he just known for his kicks, or is there something else. He is often referred to as "the last fortress" of Kyokushin on some sites. I'm just curious if his popularity stems outside of his performance as a fighter.

Kazumi is impressive , I have seen the fight between him and Fransisco Filho for the world championship , one of the best fights ever . He left kyokushin to start his own dojo , he is incorporating more kickboxing and grappling in his style now

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Thanx for that. Y2_Sub, you always appear on my threads and it's great to have you. And all you you lot as well, you know who you are. Hi-fives all round!

I was gonna refer to him as Sensei. I was under the impression however that in order to participate in the Hyakunin Kumite or complete it, you had to be a Shihan. Learning every day.....

Ah, see this is what I was pushing for. Assuming that all offshoots have their own approach to combat, does Shihan Kazumi's dojo emphasise low-kicking? I read he likes to use a simple strategy of punches and lowkicks, but I guess he's up their which Shihan Royama in the category for most poweful Gedan Mawashi Geri. In some highlights, it seems like, rather than blasting his opponent, he times his lowkicks to knock the opponent off balance (e.g. hitting inside thigh when opponent tries to throw kick).

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you the same "Feels" who posts on Sherdog? Because you had Shihan Kazumi's portrait as your avatar, so I'm assuming you know a lot about him. In fact that's what started me thinking, because his face literally was everywhere. Please know that I'm not implying or trying to say your a "hugger", just curious as to why Hajime Kazumi is so successful. Is he just known for his kicks, or is there something else. He is often referred to as "the last fortress" of Kyokushin on some sites. I'm just curious if his popularity stems outside of his performance as a fighter.

Same 'Feels.'

Kazumi is an overall gifted fighter with great low kick timing. I really don't know how else to put it. Although he's not the most exciting fighter to watch, his success cannot be overlooked, which is why so many people looked at him as the Great Japanese Hope when Kyokushin Karate is being dominated by Brazilians and Russians. In fact, his celebrity status earned him a little favor with the judges' decision when in fact, he should have ost. But it's too bad he left. Right now, Kentaro Tanaka is the Japanese poster boy.

I really don't know what Kazumi is teaching nowadays, but I would assume that his style will rub onto his students.

Kyokushin Karate of Los Angeles @ http://www.kyokushinla.com

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is thinking about yourself less."

Thanx for that. Y2_Sub, you always appear on my threads and it's great to have you. And all you you lot as well, you know who you are. Hi-fives all round!

Lol ... It's just because we share the same interest : KYOKUSHIN :)

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

For all his prowess as a fighter, Kazumi is a pretty good technician as well. Back when he was still running a Kyokushin branch, also called Kazumi dojo, I had a chance to take one of his classes. He gave me some kata pointers, most of which I forget.

Shortly after Kazumi left Kyokushin, Kentaro Takanka was awarded his own branch. Recently he has been bulked up. Looks like the organization is trying to beef him up to fight Texiera, Kurbanov, etc. He is a very strong, but conservative fighter-no flashy technique like the Brazilians and Russians.