• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all your advice :)

yea the woods but was abit odd, but in the area i live in england,

there are a few gangs going around at the moment, attacking

people for no reason :S

tell me about it i live in england as well and it seems that there is quite a large problem with thugs at the moment there known as CHAV's were i live dont know about were you live though also you will have probably seen on the news about schools becoming violant recently like the girl being slashed with the razor blade across the face several times in the class room.

Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil~Exodus 23:2

Violence, even well intentioned, always rebounds upon oneself.~Lao Tzu

And mankind is naught but a single nation~quran

• 2 weeks later...

it depends on the flavor of jujitsu you are taking. Traditional Japanese Jujitsu was more like wrestling with no real strikes or anything. (Gentleman's rules). Brazilian Jujitsu goes to the ground to quickly, and if there are multiple people it doesnt work well to be on the ground with one guy while his buddy kicks your ribs in. I would probably go with the Shotokan training if I was you. It's more standupish and if there are multiple people you will do better.

Well it depends on the style of jujitsu you study. Try for a kenpo-jujitsu or aikijujitsu dojo. Allot of JJJ has been watered down to judo, allot of shotokan is useless because of politics. I'm more self-defense focused, so I'd muay thai is a good start. Krav Maga is ok, I have limited knowledge on the art but what I'ne seen it's a good stand-up infighting style.

I'm kinda interested in the randomly attacked in the woods thing? How did this come about?

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

it depends on the flavor of jujitsu you are taking. Traditional Japanese Jujitsu was more like wrestling with no real strikes or anything. (Gentleman's rules). Brazilian Jujitsu goes to the ground to quickly, and if there are multiple people it doesnt work well to be on the ground with one guy while his buddy kicks your ribs in. I would probably go with the Shotokan training if I was you. It's more standupish and if there are multiple people you will do better.

jjj has (had?) plenty of strikes. At one point in time, there were over 700 styles of jjj in japan. Some focused on striking, some on grappling and others on the ground.

if you have taken a bjj self defense class, you know that it is oriented on standup grappling, not ground grappling. However, there are instances where ground grappling is very important... and I've used it in multiple attacker confrontations WITHOUT getting stomped...

However, there are instances where ground grappling is very important... and I've used it in multiple attacker confrontations WITHOUT getting stomped...

God I would love to see that. The BJJ that i did (and I hold a Nidan in BJJ) the first thing we always did was try to get your opponent into the guard.

But back to the question at hand. I would stay away from the traditional Jujitsu's if you can, try something more standupish if you think there are going to be multiple people. Last thing you would want to do with several people is go to the ground with one of them while his buddies kick your ribs in. Sad but true.

Nidan? As in second degree? Either you are extremely skilled and dedicated or a total liar. Please don't take offence, but if you are really a 2nd degree in BJJ, you'll understand just how few of those there are.

Why'd you switch to karate after becoming so skilled in jiu-jitsu?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Nidan? As in second degree? Either you are extremely skilled and dedicated or a total liar. Please don't take offence, but if you are really a 2nd degree in BJJ, you'll understand just how few of those there are.

Why'd you switch to karate after becoming so skilled in jiu-jitsu?

I practiced BJJ under Dean Taylor from 1995 until he got his dojo established in 1999. Then I got stationed in Brazil at the embasy from 1999 till 2002. Came to Maryland after that and worked BJJ with Ceasar Garcia and a few other guys. I switched to Saishu Ryu because there isn't very many grapplers in this area that are worth anything, and also I figured it was time to try something else.

I have done some reading on jjj (after reading this). From what I read it appears jjj is diverse, hard to classify. Some schools focused on Grapling, some on striking, some on throws, some on all of it. You could call any MA Jujitsu. The more I look at it, it appears that Jujitsu was a generic term in japan for any form of hand to hand combat.

By most accounts bjj comes from Judo, which itself comes from a few schools of jjj - each one of which comes from a few others -- on and on.