• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have done some reading on jjj (after reading this). From what I read it appears jjj is diverse, hard to classify.

I am only speaking from personal experience on this one, but from my experience the Japanese Jujitsu I was taught was more of a standup grappling system with no strikes. Kind of like Judo, but not so much of a ground game, more just throwing and basic locks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the style or niche or jujitsu

jujitsu: a generic term from martial during the shoganate periods

taijitsu: a style often thought of as ninjitsu based but not entirely so, taijitsu fouces on positioning, movement & useing the body's natural weapons. Heavily focused on striking & grappling.

koppo-jitsu or koppojujitsu: comes in 2 general formats a stryle that heavily focuses on using joints of the fingers, knee & elbows to attack various points of the body or as a style that attacks the joints.

yumbi-jitsu or yumbi-jujitsu also called koshijitsu/koshijujitsu: A styel that focuses om muscle grabs & using finger point/knuckle strikes against vital targets

Kenpo-jitsu: military style of kenpo often used by ashigaru (footmen)

kenpo-jujitsu: A very lethal form of jujitsu blending kenpo & jujitsu, focues on pressure point strikes, bone breaking & stand up grappling. Was only taught to the royal family & royal body guards

karate-jitsu: Another form of japanese kenpo-jitsu taught to common footmen & was often confused with karate-do in the modern era.

Now add as many as 5,000 to 8,000 families in japan's ancient history from nobles to peasants perfecting their own "style & name." Some styles are still only passed down within a given family tree. Hope this gives you an idea of how much variety there is in jujitsu & how many systems exist.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

I agree that jujutsu (jujitsu), like karate tends to be very diversely taught.

Teachers instruct on what they know, and sometimes on what they don't know.

But for the most part, they do what comes naturally to them.

In regards to shotokan, some instructors will focus on the stand and deliver (block/parry{with or without lock} then strike) techniques of karate, while others add either more kicks, and or jujutsu methods.

There are those jujutsu instructors who will teach mostly throws, along with the basic blocks and punches, which can be great against multiple opponents, contrary to popular belief.

Any jujutsu instructor that attempts to teach a mix of kicks, locks, submission (up to and including a break) holds, strike downs, elbows, knees, heel-palm strikes to vital areas, various other hand strikes, low kicks, and so on, are at least coming close to what jujutsu is really about.

With any martial art, there are set rules as to what comes next, or how one should follow through.

There are no rules, for we are subjects of the situation.

We can control ourselves, and many times, we can out-maneuver our opponent in order to win or decrease the conflict. But in no way do we have the power to control the situation itself.

Within a jujutsu school, if it is taught like judo (or a gentleman's art), then by all means, it should be avoided.

In my view, the choices would be narrowed down due to the following basic principles:

In regards to what is being taught:

judo - primarily a throwing art

karate - primarily a striking art that incorporates low to mid section kicks

TKD - has evolved to a kicking art, but traditional is equal in combat philosophy to karate

Kung Fu - varies

In my region of the world, Kung Fu (the external systems) focus on hand techniques, which either high or low kicks, depending on the system.

Jujutsu - is traditionally a throwing, locking, seizing, submission, striking art.

-------------------------------------------

Some karate or kung fu, are close fighting systems. That is they employ locking, trapping, strike-downs, or more elbows and knees.

Wing Chun and Goju Ryu are two such systems.

There are others as well, as those systems I have mentioned are just the beginning.

I personally teach a jujutsu system, that incorporates internal principles and fighting methods of taijiquan, Hao Chuan {Chinese pressure point fighting}, muay thai (elbows, palm strikes, and knees), along with the principle methods of naha te (the root system of old Okinawan Karate Do).

Basically, what I do, is a well rounded martial art, also termed an MMA. Not the best, but just something that works for me.

As I continue with my research of the Martial Art systems, I find that they overlap quite frequently on many principles, and I will continue to take those concepts and mold them into what I believe a system should be.

Which is use your entire body, every appendage, and do so either standing up, or on the ground, or something in between. It means to pick up something and use it, or if need be, then go down biting, pulling hair, scratching, or ripping flesh.

The better a Martial Artist becomes, the more they will mold the style into what they believe works for them. If they do not, then the style or the instructor is not allowing for full growth within the system.

The core of combat, which is also one of the many facets of the Martial Arts, is to do whatever it takes to win or overcome the situation at hand.

That is why we train over and over in various situations, with various types of opponents and environments, so that we can apply many different strategies, techniques, tactics, and come to know our weaknesses, strengths, limitations, and fears ~ while doing so.

In sum, jujutsu or not, if a Martial Art (or teacher of such art) does not allow you to adapt, to evolve to change with the situation (for situations themselves are alive and dynamic), then it is not a dynamic art, and should be avoided.

Good luck in your search for knowledge and instruction!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

taijutsu was also called jujutsu.

No taijutsu is jujutsu, by another name. Taijutsu/jitsu has become linked to ninjutsu because of Hatsumi & Hayes. But its actually a stand alone niche form of jujitsu. Its like Aikijujutsu & kenpojujutsu are of course all still jujutsu.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

Great posts everyone!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

:karate:

Is jujitsu a good martial art for self-defence on the street/woods?

I randomly got attacked in some woods, so i decided to take

jujitsu, which i'm starting tomorow.

another question: is jujitsu better than shotokan karate for self-defence?

Japanese Jujitsu is great for self defense- ask for real applications you might use.

Shotokan could be used for self defense too - but I'm in love with Jujitsu, so...:P go with Jujitsu!!! :D

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The more i read along it seems to me that the style i practice is a very effective, if not ideally traditional, form of ju-jitsu. We practice everything that is needed if conflict is an inevitable event. Strikes from a compact and therefore strong in all areas stance. The ability to move from one form of defence to another and likewise with offence. As was stated in the above mails 'there are no rules' and 'if it works, use it', regardless of the name of the style you practice or the colour of your belt, at the end of the day a belt is only there to hold your trousers up!