• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

:karate:

Is jujitsu a good martial art for self-defence on the street/woods?

I randomly got attacked in some woods, so i decided to take

jujitsu, which i'm starting tomorow.

another question: is jujitsu better than shotokan karate for self-defence?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:karate:

Is jujitsu a good martial art for self-defence on the street/woods?

I randomly got attacked in some woods, so i decided to take

jujitsu, which i'm starting tomorow.

another question: is jujitsu better than shotokan karate for self-defence?

You randomly get attacked in the woods? Uh...your name isn't Little Red Riding Hood by chance? Perhaps you need to stay out of the woods?

As for which system is better, JJ or shotokan, they are entirely different systems with different approaches to self defense. JJ likes to take an opponent to the ground whereas shotokan likes to stand and fight. JJ is great for defense against ONE opponent, not multiple opponents, whereas shotokan should teach you to fight more than one opponent at a time.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

That, I'm not sure of. I believe they have a few kicks/punches, but mostly used more to get their opponent to react in a certain way so that they can dive for their legs and take them to the ground. I'm sure someone else can answer that question better than I can.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Yes, jujitsu has punching and kicking techniques, but is usually very poor at it. It largely dependent on the school you train in. I know somebody who practises jujitsu, and who came to our school to practise shotokan karate and he noticed the same things.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

Traditional jujutsu and Brazilian jujutsu are two different types of systems. In traditional jujutsu, you are trained to fend off multiple opponents and you don’t dive in for takedowns that you see in MMA events. There are strikes in traditional systems and there is nothing poor about ‘em. I can’t speak for BJJ systems; only traditional systems.

And yes, that “randomly attacked in the woods” story sounds a bit odd.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

My dojo is affiliated with Kumichi Ryu Jiu Jitsu system under Soke John Rubiano and it is a VERY effective and deadly style. They practice all of the kicks and punches that traditional styles practice as well as the locks, throws, breaks, etc.

As far as the leg shoots and stuff, that is Brazillian jiu jutsu. Just like with other arts, there are many flavors of jiu jutsu... some are more like judo were others are more combat arts.

Sensei

1st dan, tai jutsu

1st dan, Kenpo

no offence to any karateka but i would say if your looking for quick self defence Jiujitsu is better than traditional karate, although if you really want to learn defence skills try S.C.A.R.S or Krav maga

Fist visible Strike invisible