• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

belated hello

Dragn

I dont have time to post in here so often. But I call in for a read pretty regularly.

I've been training about 16 years all up. But not in one straight run. And divided among various styles.

Started out in TKD and earned my 1st dan at age 16, 2nd dan at 17. But it was a bit of a mc dojo, and I was too young and naive to really know the difference. So I dont consider myself a black belt by my standards.

From there I spent a number of years jumping from style to style looking for one that contained everything I wanted in a MA. Problem was I wanted too much!

I love all the arts from Tai chi to wushu to MMA. I wanted to do all of them. I went from TKD to Muay Thai. Then to Aikido and Kyokushin in Japan. Then I stopped training for a few years. Got back into Kyokushin in Australia while cross training in some obscure Kung Fu style. Then capoeira and Shaolin Long fist , and chi gong. Then on to competing in Wushu in Japan. Then I started cross training in Muay Thai again and competing in sanshou.

At this point I realised I had wasted alot of precious time trying to learn too much varied material without really excelling at any one in particular. I was the classic practisioner of many but master of none. So thats when I finally decided to let go of my passion for flashy acrobatics and focus on real fighting skills. I started training seriously in Daidojuku about 2 years ago and I'm still going strong. 34 years old and more addicted to training then ever.

Here in Japan I dont often get the opportunity to discuss MA with other English speakers, so I really enjoy the discussions on these forums.

Hope I can share something of value to someone out there and expand my own understanding at the same time.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well out as im sure white warlock will say that although he has also done the same practishener of all master of none it doesnt matter the experiance you have gianed by doing this is second to none i bet you have learned a hell of alot more than most people here including me. I would also do more but iv got school to contend with.

Anyway welcome from me and nice CV :)

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I found the main difference in training in Japan was the attitude of the students. Generally they're alot more serious about their training. And the training is harder. If we trained with the same seriousness and strictness we have here in Japan back home, I dont think we'd get that many students.

There is a very strong heirachy in the dojo. Guys who are above you in rank are shown respect. They will often order you around.And talking back or argument is unthinkable.Its almost militaristic in nature.

After training we all wipe down the floors by hand. Much of this is for the purpose of character development. Learning humility and respect is an essential part of studdying Budo.

I really enjoy training here in Japan. When I trained back home I found it

just too laid back.I saw guys with green, brown, and even black belts who were just terrible! Over here you really have to earn the belt. Guys who have poor technique will get drilled and drilled till they get it or they dont get promoted.

Of course I know there are some good dojos back home, and some poor ones here too. I'm just speaking in general terms based on what I've experienced.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I found the main difference in training in Japan was the attitude of the students. Generally they're alot more serious about their training. And the training is harder. If we trained with the same seriousness and strictness we have here in Japan back home, I dont think we'd get that many students.

There is a very strong heirachy in the dojo. Guys who are above you in rank are shown respect. They will often order you around.And talking back or argument is unthinkable.Its almost militaristic in nature.

After training we all wipe down the floors by hand. Much of this is for the purpose of character development. Learning humility and respect is an essential part of studdying Budo.

I really enjoy training here in Japan. When I trained back home I found it

just too laid back.I saw guys with green, brown, and even black belts who were just terrible! Over here you really have to earn the belt. Guys who have poor technique will get drilled and drilled till they get it or they dont get promoted.

Of course I know there are some good dojos back home, and some poor ones here too. I'm just speaking in general terms based on what I've experienced.

Thats really cool, that you could have that opportunity. I know id like that life style more, i get frustrated with some of the people in the class. However our sensei doesnt tolertae that however still.....

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn