• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korea Taekwondo Association

The Korean Taekwondo Association (KTA) was formed in 1965. It came from the Tae Soo Do, under the Korean Amateur Athletic Association, which was formed in 1961. The KTA was involved in the creation and formation of the Palgue forms and the yudanja forms (koryo, Tae Baek, Baek Jae, Ship Jin, Jee Tae, etc). The KTA became the WTF in 1974.

R. McLain

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KTA is the Korean branch of the ATA

Well no.

As mentioned it is actually what ultimately became the WTF and is still the official designation for the governing bodyof Taekwondo in Korea, while the WTF is the global body intrusted for promoting and teaching Taekwondo world wide. It was the WTF that ws organized by the KTA to replace the ITF after Gen. Choi and the ITF left Korea and the KTA. The WTF was largely responsible for getting Taekwondo recognized as an Olympic sport.

Gen. Choi at one time as the president of the KTA, then known as the Korea Tae Soo Do Association first proposed the name of TKD and that is how he is sometimes referred to in some circles as the "Father of TKD."

RFB

Well no.

As mentioned it is actually what ultimately became the WTF and is still the official designation for the governing bodyof Taekwondo in Korea, while the WTF is the global body intrusted for promoting and teaching Taekwondo world wide. It was the WTF that ws organized by the KTA to replace the ITF after Gen. Choi and the ITF left Korea and the KTA. The WTF was largely responsible for getting Taekwondo recognized as an Olympic sport.

Gen. Choi at one time as the president of the KTA, then known as the Korea Tae Soo Do Association first proposed the name of TKD and that is how he is sometimes referred to in some circles as the "Father of TKD."

RFB

So, the Kukkiwon is not a governing body? Is it just a certifiying body then?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Well no.

As mentioned it is actually what ultimately became the WTF and is still the official designation for the governing bodyof Taekwondo in Korea, while the WTF is the global body intrusted for promoting and teaching Taekwondo world wide.

RFB

My misunderstanding. I know that Songahm Taekwondo has a rapidly growing base in Korea, and somehow I got it in my head that we were there as the KTA. In reality, I guess it's the WTTU (international division of ATA) working in conjuction with KTA that confused me.