• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korea Taekwondo Association

Can schools still be directly associated with the KTA? There is a WTF style school in my area that seems to be the best school around and am trying to do a little research on it. WTF and KTA logos are all I see there. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Theadric

White Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It does surprise me a little that with the exposure that this forum has to TKD stylists, that no one has any ideas. :-? I have visited thier website and done some research on the net, but still have not come up with anything. And unfortunatley I don't speak Korean.

-Theadric

White Belt

Well are you sure that it isnt KTAA...I know that Grandmaster Ronald Rose runs the KTAA which was founded by Grandmaster Ed Sell who know runs the USCDKA.

Check to make sure there is only 1 A instead of 2. KTA or KTAA.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

Well are you sure that it isnt KTAA...I know that Grandmaster Ronald Rose runs the KTAA which was founded by Grandmaster Ed Sell who know runs the USCDKA.

Check to make sure there is only 1 A instead of 2. KTA or KTAA.

Well, we just live in a virtual alphabet now, don't we? :)

I have never heard of KTA. I know WTF is the official Korean governing body of the Martial Art. I would ask the school why the second association. I am sure they will tell you. It is a good way to approach and ask questions about the school as well. If not I would think twice about joining the school.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

I haven't had a chance to get back to the school yet. still doing a little searching on the side. The KTA does have a web addy. In most books I have read the time line is as such. :

1961 - The Korea Taekwondo Association(KTA) was established

1972 - The Kukkiwon (World Taekwondo Headquarters) was established

1973 - The World Taekwondo Federation(WTF) was established

They where the official governing body for Korea before the WTF, but I'm not sure as to their role today. I do know that they do still exist. I think I'll just have to give them a call and hope someone speaks english on the other line. :D

-Theadric

White Belt

• 3 weeks later...

From http://www.beckmartialarts.com/ctkdfaq.html

Circa 1966 Choi formed the International Taekwon-Do Federation and left Korea and the KTA, and eventually in 1973 the KTA changed its format, essentially becoming the World Taekwondo Federation. (Actually the Korean TKD Association still exists as a national governing body for TKD in Korea; the World TKD Federation is the worldwide parent organization and each country has its own national governing body. In the U.S. this is the United States TKD Union.)

Besides the above link, for a comprehesive history of TKD see also Dan Burdick's article which was published in the volume 6, issue 1, of the Journal of Asian Martial Arts (1997) and can be read on the Internet at:

http://www.indiana.edu/~iutkd/history/tkdhist.html and continued at: http://www.indiana.edu/~iutkd/history/tkdhist2.html

Edited by RF_Brown