• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting Ready for Kyokushin

Superfoot

Afternoon.

As some of you may have heard, Hanshi Steve Arneil is in the UK and teaching Kyokushin and I plan on attending his lessons.

If possible, can anyone give me a rundown of a typical Kyokushin training regimen that students participate in once entering the Dojo. I understand this might vary within schools, but since this is Hanshi Arneil (who was very close to Sosai Oyama) I was wondering if his regime may be similar to the founder.

I understand their will be a lot of sparring. What about pad work, or heavy bag rounds? What's a typical Kyokushin workout routine.

Thanx.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our 90 min class goes like this: 15 minutes of stretching, 15 min kihon, 30 min of combinations, pad work or kata (depending on the day), 30 min of sparring, initially light-contact, gradually gets harder.

After class we hang up the heavy bags. Many students stay after to work the bag, lift weights, spar, etc.

Have fun.

When you spar, does everyone spar, or does just two karateka stand in the center of the dojo, whilst everyone watches them.

30 mins with increasing intensity sounds good. Helps you get used to it.

When you spar, does everyone spar, or does just two karateka stand in the center of the dojo, whilst everyone watches them.

30 mins with increasing intensity sounds good. Helps you get used to it.

All black and brown belts line up, followed by other senior students until half the class is standing in line. Then the lower belts partner up with the line of senpai. After each bout, every body shifts to the left, except for the most senior black belt who stays in place.

So you have other students next to you? Does that take away from your freedom of movement (e.g. circling opponent, so you only fight forwards and backwards)?

Also do you spar full power. I understand if certain techniques like Head Kicks are pulled.

Yeah, it can get a little crowded at times, but not so much so that you're restricted to only forward and backward movements. It does improve one's in-fighting skills, though. :)

Since you're just starting out, don't worry about full power. Your senpai will be taking it easy on you in the beginning. If you have a thirst for the real hard stuff, you can join the fight teams later on. This is where bones are broken, not often, but not infrequently either.

I know you've been anticipating this, but try not to have so many assumptions about Kyokushin that you end up feeling unfulfilled. Relax your shoulders, look at everything as a newbie and enjoy the ride.

Pretty soon you'll find a way to mesh the stuff you know and the stuff you're good at with the new things you're learning.

Things in my schools go pretty much the same as Meguro mentioned except that we do more stretching and worm ups ( 20-->25 minutes ) and we don't do kata all the times

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Good luck and have fun!

(And don't forget to tell us how it went)

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away