• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How far and long to hold, to score a point?

I am wondering about certain pointers.

How far do you stop a kick or a punch near a face. How long do you hold it. I have encountered allot of judges cheating and beaing negligent.

IF you hit the face, they call exesive force. If you stop an inch away, they don't give a score.

Any one has any idea on how to handle it?

Thank you

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Point fighting is subjective, very subjective. And as such one person often has an advantage before they say go.

Just continue as is and try not to let it get too you.

Or, try to "play the game" and realise that you win not by the match, but by the judges interpretation of it. If you can influence there interpretation of the match, calling attention to your hits, you can take an advantage based on that.

But it is subjective, and the judges are often biased (even if they don't mean to be) and chances are they've been doing this all day and are bored silly... They are the ones you need to score on, not the guy across from you.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

My thoughts are to get away from point sparring if you like to compete why not go into mma where you can always make contact. Also the ref in mma is only there for the safety of the fighters. Besides I've seen alot of guys come to our school to cross train and have to break all kinds of bad habits from this type of sparring. I've seen guys kick a punching bag and leave their foot in the air or their knee and for self defense reasons this is very bad. :roll:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

• 2 months later...

If you are doin point fighting there is no reason you should stop by or close to there face at all what is the point in that ya kno? the reason the judges dont call it is because you didnt snap it back fast enough go and inch away from the face and snap it back quickly and you will more likely get the point than if you throw it and hold it there that is why judges are no calling it. in point fighting they want to see speed and power with control so go to the face fast and instead of holding it there snap it back fast....hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Kumitekyle187 is right assuming it is a no contact tourney. They like to see control since people who go to these do not want to get blasted and bring home bruises.

However, some tourneys have light contact rules. Meaning you can tap lightly and must do so to score. I'ts all about finding the balance between a near miss and injurious contact. If you can train your self to strike hard and fast but loosen up and pull the shots at the last second, you will score.

Here I imagine judges look also at the strikee to see their reaction. If he falls down or his head jerks really hard, you went too far. If it looks like a miss, graze, or you were overextended (and therefore could not have accomplished a solid strike in a real fight), you may not get a point.

Find out exactly which rules will be used ahead of time and train mostly or solely in that mode so it becomes habit. Good luck.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's contact you want I might recomend TKD. In the WTF they don't allow punching to the face, but everything else is FULL CONTACT. I competed in my first tourney in November and I have another coming up in February. It was a blast, and I know the WTF is going to be starting to adapt new rules to allow face punching as well by fall this year from the way I understand it.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

If it's contact you want I might recomend TKD. In the WTF they don't allow punching to the face, but everything else is FULL CONTACT. I competed in my first tourney in November and I have another coming up in February. It was a blast, and I know the WTF is going to be starting to adapt new rules to allow face punching as well by fall this year from the way I understand it.

Yes, they are :) I also heard the chest protector is gone too (I hope ... I hate them).

Anyways, I have done point fighting, but not for tournies. I like the rules, kinda (the hand contact to the head). But I like the TKD full contact. If they would mix the two I may compete. BUT the reason I don't (in sparring) is because of biased judging. I seen it way too many times.

Geng, I'm not sure about the "contact" or control thing in point fighting (like I said, I never competed in it, but watched many matches). It seems to me that the control is important. It also looked like you should make a clean shot (not hitting an arm, ect) to a scoring area with control.

In TKD, trembling shock scores. But we don't stop when we score.

Laurie F