• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Considering switching styles

I'm considering not taking up TKD, and possibly going towards Shorei-Ryu. What are your thoughts on this? I have been interested in TKD for the main reason of the off the wall kicks, and workout. However, I went to a Shorei-Ryu school up the street from my house last night, and took a liking to it. They seem to train hard, and the price is very affordable. I have heard of this place by word of mouth.

Tell me your thoughts on this! :)

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for the style (I haven't tried training in different styles yet), but the things about the school that you mentioned sound like the club I go to (train hard, affordable price, heard by word of mouth).

Based on that, I'd say that the school is definitely worth considering...

could anyone show me the link to download Shorei-Ryu clip, i still dont know what is Shorei-Ryu ,thank u much ^_^

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

Definition from TKD tutor

Shorei-Ryu

Shorei-ryu is an Okinawan hard style. Known for its heavy, powerful techniques, body toughening training, and its numerous stances. It is more suitable for a person of heavy body structure. It strives to emulate the actions of the 5 traditional animals and teaches all the traditional Okinawan weapons, such as the bo, tonfa, and sai. Some characteristics of Shorei-ryu are:

Stances exceptionally low in kata form.

Seiken thrust: is slightly downward and in center of body. The rear leg moves slightly forward at the completion of the punch. The moving of the rear leg is automatic and is caused by the power generated by the force of the punch and the forward movement of the hips.

Fist: index finger under curled thumb.

Hips: rotate with a definite forward movement.

Blocks: all start spiraling at wrists and spiral until completion of block.

Head snap when turning.

Thousand hand, five and six-count rice exercises, and sun fist.

High rising block, executed from thigh up.

Teeth clenched.

Wide-eyed stare.

Eight faces: the art of looking or expression (hyojo do): Confidence, Friendly, Solemn, Unconcerned, Contempt, Shock, Fear, and Anger.

All kicks, blocks, and strikes are 90% circular.

Kicks: for every forward one there is a reverse one.

Te-katana and te-uke covers are very obvious in all Shuri-ryu techniques and katas.

* Body: always relaxed until exact moment of completing technique.

I can't speak for the style (I haven't tried training in different styles yet), but the things about the school that you mentioned sound like the club I go to (train hard, affordable price, heard by word of mouth).

Based on that, I'd say that the school is definitely worth considering...

Yup. Plus, it's on the same street as my house. Less than 3 minutes away. The price is 3/4 of what I'm paying for TKD now, and it's a small based class, so more attention to me. I'm not saying I don't like TKD, but I thought about it last night, and I realized that I was in it just for the kicks, and workout. I realized that I can learn any of these kicks in any style, whether it's teached in my style or not. I'm still going to give it lots of thought, and I have a free week of class to attend. I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks for the input! Keep it coming!

:karate:

If you like it, go for it. You can always change your mind later.

Deciding on a particular style is a bad idea, as the style isn't what really matters. You need a coach you like and teaches in a way that works for you and a class of people you can get along with. Without that, style is irrelevant as you will soon quit ;)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

If you like it, go for it. You can always change your mind later.

Deciding on a particular style is a bad idea, as the style isn't what really matters. You need a coach you like and teaches in a way that works for you and a class of people you can get along with. Without that, style is irrelevant as you will soon quit ;)

Always a pleasure to hear from you AG!

Thanks for the advice!

:D

After looking at the description, there are a lot of similarities to what I see in TKD (hard style, facing movements during katas, twisting of wrists during hand techniques). The one exception that I saw was the note

* All kicks, blocks, and strikes are 90% circular.

Maybe someone else can explain that one...

Also, if the school offers weapons classes, that would be a plus as well. I've taken classes in short staff, arnis, sai, and I'm currently taking a bokken sword class, and I've enjoyed them all.

I'd agree with AndrewGreen...IMO what you get out of MA classes is more important than what style you are studying.

After looking at the description, there are a lot of similarities to what I see in TKD (hard style, facing movements during katas, twisting of wrists during hand techniques). The one exception that I saw was the note
* All kicks, blocks, and strikes are 90% circular.

Maybe someone else can explain that one...

Also, if the school offers weapons classes, that would be a plus as well. I've taken classes in short staff, arnis, sai, and I'm currently taking a bokken sword class, and I've enjoyed them all.

I'd agree with AndrewGreen...IMO what you get out of MA classes is more important than what style you are studying.

I also agreed that it looked similar!

They do offer weapons (Bo, Kama's, Sai). They also don't preach to getting blackbelt in 3 years. He says that it depends on the individual, but it's longer than 3 years, because he tests hard.