SenseiMike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The previous replies offer some really great advice. I've sponsored a few tournies in my day and it is hard work to get it organized, something I'd rather not do again unless I had substancial backing and support.

I like the idea previously suggested of a contact division within a normal point based tournament. That sounds like a good way to test the waters. Jumping right in with a entirely full contact tournament, just doesn't sound appealing.

It wasn't a knock down tournament, The rules were clearly stated, standard free sparring rules, moddified for full contact. The judge applications went out long before the competitor applications did. I refused to take any part in judging or as a refferee.

The only response i got was "we don't fight full contact", over & over again.

Can you explain to me the difference between a "knock down tournament" and "modified full contact" please? Knock down means just that..know them down or out. What is modified full contact? Isn't full contact the same thing? Somebody tells me we're fighting full contact, and you're dang sure right that I'm going to put them under as quickly as possible.

yes i can, actually very easy to do so.

Full contact, as was clearly stated, is fighting in FULL GEAR, kyokushin knockdown is bare knuckle.

My tournament was designed for the l"non hard core" student to feel comfortable.

but let me rephrase this better,

It's not the students who aren't interested, it's the instructor's discarding the information instead of passing it down.

Yes, I do know that for a fact, as I've talked with many students from some local schools via mutual friends. I refuse to disrespect the teacher and address their clss myself, but the guys just don't want their students coming to my tournament.

I have my own beliefs about this, mostly about the competition between schools here.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

It's not the students who aren't interested, it's the instructor's discarding the information instead of passing it down.

Well, that clarifies alot. I have to ask, how politically/socially connected are you with the instructors of those schools? You need to apply marketing 101 on these people. The question, I am sure they ask themselves, which is either the deal breaker or maker is... "What's in it for me?" If you can show something that answers that question for each instructor, I think you will find the resistance start to disappear.

Well, that clarifies alot. I have to ask, how politically/socially connected are you with the instructors of those schools? You need to apply marketing 101 on these people. The question, I am sure they ask themselves, which is either the deal breaker or maker is... "What's in it for me?" If you can show something that answers that question for each instructor, I think you will find the resistance start to disappear.

That's a good point, I advertised the tournament to the schools as a local event, a way to showcase different styles in a venue that would attract spectators, and create interest for the schools in our own area.

I would understand a simple "we're not a fighting school" response, but it's the way in which the other instructors are handeling it that upsets me, Instead of (with a few exceptions) just coming out and saying that, most are simply sweeping it under the rug.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

Well, i think the first thing you need to do... is get rid of your attitude on this. You're taking it all way too personal. It is essentially about business, and what may or may not hurt their business, or their students. A lot of MA school owners are in it for the money, but many are also in it for the satisfaction. To take their students into an 'unknown' arena with an unknown... is to possibly subject them to hardship, and could hurt the school as a whole.

These people aren't trying to undermine your efforts, they're trying to protect their assets. If you can't see past this, i don't know what to say. Seriously... it's not a competition. Yes, you are trying to sponsor one, but getting people to go it is not it. It is a cooperative, and cooperatives only work with people you know, or people you entice. If you don't present sufficient enticement... they won't come. If you don't befriend them... they won't come.

Frankly, i've ignored many an event. If i don't know the people, or i don't know the specifics about the event, or of others that are going on, i am not going to go, nor am i going to invite anyone... especially not any student of mine. You may have all the answers and be comfortable with the entire setup, but to everyone else it's just a piece of paper in their hands from a noname.

I do marketing consultant on the side. One thing you really need to understand here is that in order to gain their trust, you have to gain their respect. I must say you probably have a little patchwork to do now in the local ma community, as this little stunt probably set a bad precedent for u.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I get invited to maybe 10-12 tournaments a year. About half of those are from people I know and trust, the others are people I don't know, or don't like. I used to attend quite a few tournaments, but they have changed over the last 10 years and I don't like them, or the rules that they go by, as much as I used to.

We're not a tournament oriented dojo or system. We get together with other dojo's occassionally for a workout/sparring session, but generally I'm not real crazy about what most other schools teach in my area, so there's not a lot of interaction between our dojo's. I, and a few of my students, went to a local tournament a few months ago, and it was terrible. I doubt if we'll go to another held by that same instructor.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Good points both of you, I see deffinately what you mean.

I guess I am taking it to personal, but it does put a lot of hardship on me to cancel at the last minute, refund the tickets that I pre-sold, cancel the trophy and tee-shirt orders, etc...

But I do see what you mean.

Mike the Tekken tournament is every month thru next year and they are establishing champions. It is a good way to boost your schools name.

Call Cliff and he will get you the info. :brow:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

its a shame that people dont have a go at these things cos im sure ur tournament would be absolutely fanstic and this may sound like its ur loss to but they obviously dont no wot there missin

FEAR is only a four letter word

RORY