• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess I should intorduce myself...

aruder

Hello to everyone on the boards...

My name is Aaron Ruder. I'm a college student at a small college in Central Illinois, studying to be a High school teacher. I've been training for several years now, and I think that the martial arts is one of the best things I have ever done. I hope to be always learning and seeking new knowledge, both in the martial arts and life.

About my school:

I think my school is rather unique as far as dojos go.

Several years ago, when I was a freshman in highscool, a new English teacher, Mr. Chianakas, began the Martial Arts club. There are only a few Highschool martial arts clubs in existance, and of those that we have contacted, ours is the most active.

Sensei Chianakas is a third degree blackbelt in Okinawan Shuri Ryu Karate, first degree in Tae Kwon Do, and I believe a brown belt in Judo. Sensei left his old Shuri Ryu school (the largest school in the area with several locations, including right here in town) for many reasons.

Our main instruction then is about 90% Shuri Ryu Karate, with several Judo techniques at each rank, and extra TKD kicks and drills. A black belt from Sensei Chianakas is everything that it would be at another Shuri Ryu school and more. We also have the the XMA program, and have had a seminar with Mike Chat, as well as Wu Shu and Pressure point seminars. We were allowed weapons training when the club began, but after complaints from some overly concerned parents, the school board asked us to discontinue weapons training. Recently, Sensei was able to convince the school board to allow the bo through the XMA program, but as a "performance tool" only.

Our martial arts program has now gone school district wide, with classes held at the three area grade schools. It is entirely possible that someday Karate will be more popular that Football in my home town, and Metamora is one of those towns where highschool football is more important than church. The highschool club has about forty active members, and many more at the gradeschools.

Belt order goes :white yellow green blue purple brown red red/black black. I am currently red, most likely testing for red/black

this month or next. Sensei has promoted four students to Shodan.

For brief period, Sensei ran a dojo, sharing a building with a gymnastics school in Washington. During that time we first attracted children and adults, some of which still train at the highschool or gradeschools. We took the name "Extreme Kumi-Taku" meaning "a combination of many." The school closed due to a strained bussiness relationship with the gymnastics school owner

Over the years we have had several other instructors. Sensei Livingston also taught karate as well as Iaido/kendo at the Washington school. Sau Bum Nim Beaver(7th Dan WTF TKD) began learning Karate at the washington school and worked with Sensei to begin TKD at the highschool. Master Stevens(I believe 3rd Dan ITF TKD) also helped with TKD. Sensei Hawkey (6th Dan Shuri Ryu) also left Sensei Chianakas' old school for many of the same reasons and teaches advanced traditional karate.

About me:

I'm eighteen and a Freshman at Eureka College, a small school in central Illinois. I was lucky to find the perfect school for me only a few minutes from my old highschool so I can still train. My major is Secondary Education(English) with a minor in writing and Theatre (and possibly a minor in history{I know, I'll be in school forever}) Besides the martial arts, I love acting and writing, and photography. When I am an English teacher someday, I hope to direct, coach speech team, and write on the side ( and maybe have a school martial arts club) I've never been out of the country, but I hope to got to Japan or England sometime in the next four years with Study Abroad.

The martial arts has doen more positive things for me than I can count. I hope to be ready to test for Shodan next summer. I am also interested in learning more Judo, TKD, Kubudo, and possibly Kendo, Iaido, cane, and western fencing.

That's a little about me....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt